Engine troubles under load

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by JPritch, Aug 20, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    1995 Ford F-150

I began to notice my engine would hickup when towing my boat up a hill. The problem has grown progressively worser, and now just a slight incline can cause this problem. The other day it did it without towing anything.

It's kind of like a quick 'thud' or hesitation from the engine. I don't have a tach so I have no idea what my rpm's are looking like while it's going on. It feels like my engine is still in gear though.

Any idea what could be causing this?

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    pull your plugs out and see if they are fouled. it sounds like it is skipping. it could also be that you need to change your tranny fluid. take a look at it and see how it looks. if it is gray-pink it should be changed. try this and let me know how it turns out. if these are good then we will move on from here.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just had the tranny fluid changed, so I'm guessing that's not it. But I'll inspect the spark plugs and wires and see how they look.

Thanks for your help.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    JP i got a 92 flare-side..mine was doing the same thing. It was the plug wires. If it still does it change the fuel filter under-neath the truck and run double to triple fuel injector cleaner in a tank. Unfortunately i changed the plug wires last and that was the problem. They looked fine and was just a year old but still bad.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    i would highly suggest changing your fuel filter anyway, and running some injector cleaner through it just in case. i had a 98 f-150 and it started doing this as well as losing power and it didnt have to get-up it used to. i changed the oil, tranny fluid, fuel filters, air filter, plugs and wires and it ran like a champ.

6. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like the other guys said, i'd suggest doing the basics, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, injectors, fuel pump, IAC valve. Im gonna assume its the 4.9L inline 6.

7. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would suggest that you trade the Ford in on a Dodge....If that is not do able the I guess I would agree has to be the spark plugs, wires and fuel filter:smile2:

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thank you all for your help.

I replaced the plugs, wires, caps, and for good measure the fuel filter and air filter. She now runs like the day I got her! I didn't want to post until I actually had a chance to tow my boat and see for sure if it fixed the problem. Pretty sure it was the plugs and wires as they were in really bad condition.

Also noticed an increase in fuel economy since the fix too.

Again, thanks to you all for pointing me in the right direction.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    good to hear that it worked for you. hopefully it will continue to do so. good luck and let us know how it handles the boat.