Engine Question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Terry Day, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm getting the welding done on the boat this week. Should be good to go in a few days. I am looking into anti slip solutions for the deck. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

My next question is: Why won't anyone work on a Tahotsu (Nissan) outboard motor. In 2003 I bought a used 2001 - 20' - center console - Polar Craft - modified "V" boat - that was equipped with a 90hp Tahotsu motor. I can't find any local dealers willing to work on it. Nothing wrong with it - I just wanted to tune it up before the season starts.

My question is what is wrong with the Tahotsu - Just curious.

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I can't help you with your question. There is a Tohatsu dealer close to where I live, and they of course work on them. I just bought one myself, but I havn't picked it up yet. New TLDI 40. I would like to ask you how you like yours.

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don't know that there's anything wrong with a Tohatsu ... Tohatsus appear pretty rugged to me.

I have a 2001 Tohatsu that's been trouble free, but I also have a friendly dealer right here in town and two more at 15 and 40 miles each. Since Tohatsu makes Nissan engines, the parts and manuals are identical ... surely you can find one or the other dealers near you.

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've been able to order outboard parts from a Nissan car dealer. It'll take you awhile or you'll spend more if you can get them to order just one part because the amount of the order has to reach a certain amount to make it affordable to pull and ship.

Last I heard was that all the outboard parts in this country go through Dallas Tx.

Nissan/Tohatsu make a good durable, basic engine that's pretty easy to work on.

6. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all that responded. I have had nothing but good luck with the 90hp Tahotsu. Not a problem one - in two years of operation. The only complaint that I have is that it seems to shift really hard. Is anyone else experiencing that problem with theirs? If so, how do I fix it? Also,when I bought the motor it had a stainless prop. After reading some of the BOC posts on hitting foreign objects, I think that I need to get a spare to keep in the boat. But I don 't know where to go to find the blade pitch and other information needed to order one. Any insight out there? Ordering a service manual is a very good idea. I'll have to look into that! Thanks again!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Terry look on the prop or pull it off and look inside it on the hub of the prop and the size should be stamped in it.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Bubbakat,

I looked on the prop and didn't see anything. I'll take it off and look on the inside of the hub, Thanks! Your stories about hitting things are one of the reasons that I'm looking for a spare! Don't want to be miles upriver and try to get back on the troling(sp) motor. Bye-the-way, I anjoyed your stories! Thanks

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    As in any shift problem, disconnect the cable from the engine and varify if it's the engine linkage, or cable/control box problem.

10. Eviserator

Eviserator New Member

State:
    Lumberton N.C.
    I have a Frontier with Chysler motor on it...If I can't get this motor to run soon I'll have to buy a new motor ..any help appreciated ..can trace power to board nothing out to plugs...board or grounding issue???