engine problems. need help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by crazyKat, Dec 10, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    sat i was out on the river. boat was running fine later on i gave it full throttle and it sounded like the engine was out of the water and it was loud like in neutral. so i shut it off made sure everything was fine. started the boat and it ran fine until i full throttled it and it did the same. engine was locked down. so i used it for six more hrs but i never full throttled it again and it ran fine at 3/4 throttle. anyone have any ideas????n ita a 16 foot jon with a 20 hrp crysler.

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    No expert by far but was curious, at WOT does your boat hydroplane accross the water? skipping? may be a cavitation problem where the prop isnt in the water at WOT, curious to see what BubbaKat has to say about it:wink:

3. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    not sure. the current was crazy and i was going with the current. boat has never done that before but i never been in that kind of current. 10 ounce sinkers wouldnt hold bottom. but it only did wot.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull your prop and look inside it and see if you have some little rubber piceses comming out from the rubber hub. Sounds like you have spun the prop. You can take a magic marker and make a mark from the outer part of the hub to where the shaft comes through and then reinstall and run it on water under a load and see if it will do it again. If it does go back and see if the marks are out of line if they are then take it to a prop shop and have it rehubed.

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that sounds expensive and also is it safe to run it since it only does it at wot or is it going to eventually do it all the time? any clue if i have spun the hub what that usually costs??

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It usually cost about half of the price of a new prop to have one rehubed.
    I would not recommend on keeping running it. It will only get worse and leave you stranded upriver or down, Most likely down river where its harder to get back. :big_smile:
    Before going to any expence do the mark test like I suggested and make sure its spun. I have see trash get clogged on the water intake and stop the solid water flow to the prop and cause cavation like that but in you case I would say it is a spun prop because it kept doing it and also the motor would have over heated if it had the flow stopped like that.

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    would it be loud like that. it sounded like the engine was up and not in the water and it was loud.

8. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i dont think it will take you that much $$$ at all to fix that. the reason i think it would get loud like that is you were spinning inside the prop. giving the engine a full rev, with no resistance. so it got to a higher rpm than normal

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep they will get loud and when it comes completely out it will rev beyond its rpm limit and throw the rods or rod. Not trying to scare you but what you have now is a minor problem but left unattended and it will become a very expensive problem.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don't know what size engine you have but you can disconnect your plug wires,tie them where they cannot touch the plugs,put the motor in gear and carefully step on/apply pressure to a prop blade.If it is far enough gone,in the hub it will slip.Careful.This is dangerous and should be done with heavy boots as it may even resist and then suddenly slip.The blades can cut.It can also start the motor and remove your foot if the wires are not removed.This could possibly save a trip to the water if it is far enough gone.

I would only go upstream where I could float back if I could until I found the problem.A comfortable drift back sure beats hard paddling upstream or on a lake.

I believe Bubberkat has done put you on the "most likely" of the things that cause such a problem.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    If you mean here what i think you mean, i could be wrong but i was always told NOT to lock the motor down...that way if you hit something the motor pops up and over the obstruction instead of taking your lower unit off. As for your problem, I'm with everybody else that said spun prop hub.

12. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    someone said it could be a sheer pin broke does that make any sense??? im gonna try to fix it next week. what about this sheer pin theory??

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    No one can tell without being there an checking the prop. Why don't you just pull the prop ans see and this will settle the guessing game.

14. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    gonna check it out tomorrow. i work late tonight and im off tomorrow