Engine Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by slowhand, Jun 20, 2008.

1. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have A 48 hp evinrude,that is driving me mad.:angry: It will not idle at all and when I accelerate it does fine up to a certain speed then it pulls down like its not getting fuel. I have cleaned the carbs twice with little or no improvement. I have changed the fuel tank,fuel lines,spark plugs. This engine ran fine last year but after winter down time cant get it going again. Tried taking it to boat repairman but everyone in my are is too busy. Say they cant get too it for at least a month. I dont want to miss out on my trotlines for a month. Can anyone help. New to the BOC, but loving it so far.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Did you replace the fuel line bulb? It does sound like a fuel related problem. How is the link & Sync - thats connected to the engine timing. Had a motor that was giving all sorts of prolems. Seems like the previous owner had taken everything off he could take off, then put them on backwards, upside down, or in the wrong place. Course, thats not the problem you seem to be having. You said you cleaned the carbs - how about rebuilding them with new gaskets and such? The motor set since last year and it's quite possible that your fuel has turned to lacquer and has restricted the ports and passages. It may well require a complete disassembly, cleaning with spray carb cleaner, pipe cleaners, etc. You still have a problem in the carbs or fuel pump.

3. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes Mr Wise I did change the bulb. I washed the tank, cleaned the fuel pump, put on complete new line from tank to engine including bulb and new connections, All new fuel lines and cleaned the carbs. Sprayed everything out with carb cleaner. Even learned of a product new to me called sea foam,as good or better than carb and choke cleaner.But no I didn't install a new carb kit I suppose thats next--Right. This is my first marine engine to work on and im finding out they are a different breed. Many years of working on cars and equipment, thought I was pretty good lol. When the engine bogs down I can push the choke in and it picks up and runs better.:confused2: Its got me puzzled. Thanks for trying to help.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The low speed jet and intermediate circuits are still in need of cleaning.