Engine Problem - What could it be?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cpalombo, May 2, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    So I was fishing Lock and Dam 25 this past Saturday and something happened to my motor. I am stumped by it, so I will ask you all....

After fishing all day, I was running back south down the Miss river. I had the motor up to full throttle for about 2 miles and was going as fast as I ever have in that boat (46 mph with the current helping me along a bit).

As I went, the motor suddenly changed sounds. It went from its normal humming sound, to what sounded like it was under a load, and did not have the torque to keep up. For 3 seconds as I slowed from 47 to a stop, it sounded like the motor was burning coal. As soon as I came to a halt, it stalled out. I tried the ignition, and the starter (not the motor under its own power) turned the cylinders over (reluctantly and again sounding like it was under a load - like the batteries were almost dead or something) for two revolutions before ceasing to turn over. I tried the keys again and it would not turn over. I decided that I ran the batteries dry or that I had certainly seized the engine up.

Time to trouble shoot. Here is what I did: 1)After lifting the motor with my tilt (yes it is on the same battery as the starter, so I found it was not a electricity issue) , I examined the problem thinking a rope had locked up the prop. I was sad to see no rope or line, because it could be much worse. 2) I then looked at the oil (it is a 2 stroke). Plenty of oil in the reservoir (thank god!). 3) I then looked at the water coolant intake, no plugs (again thank God). I can say that it was shooting out a nice stream of water an hour before, because I usually look a few times when I fish a long day.

After all the looking, I put the motor back in the water, and it started up reluctantly, but ran! It idled hard at first, so I put it in gear and drove slowly (20 mph) for the remaining 4 miles to get to the dock. By the time I got to my launch, the motor was running just fine, except I could hear a pulsing squeak as it idled.

Coming home that night, I pulled the plugs. They were used, but not fouled. I then changed the lower unit oil. It looked used, but it was not dry and there were no splinters of steel in the magnet. I still have yet to check the fuel filter for water, but I could not imagine this was the problem as my attempt to restart the engine was such that I could not get the motor to turn over at all (water in fuel would let it turn over, but not fire up).

Any ideas for you who tinker with your own motor.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    to me it sounds as if you have been Sal'ed.

That's when a yankee from MI has touched the motor and jinxed it.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont know why but youve got me curious as hell. wish i had a good answer for ya. when it did fire back up the water pump was still pumpin? also if it sounded like the motor was siezin up could it have been something internally in the foot? when is the last time you changed the oil in the foot? i know im no help but i really am curious.
    j.d.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It sounds to me like you seized your motor up. It happens for a couple different reasons, a lean condition from carburation or oil/fuel mixture (I'm taking for granted that its a 2 stroke) or a cooling problem, the end result is the same, heat causes the clearances between the cylinder, piston, and rings to close up. I would say you should get it checked out by a professional at this point. I'm sure Bob will be along shortly to give you the lowdown on your problem.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do some basics first. Check the compression and come back with some numbers. Not close to but what you read on the gauge. Water in the fuel can bind one up. It is called hydrolocking. A head gasket letting water in the cylinder do this also. Running lean on a cylinder can do this.

Now for the biggest question what are we working on here?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I like to get to these motor problem posts before bubbakat so I can apply my own diagnostic abilities. However, in this case, I'm glad Willard beat me to the post as I have no idea what it could be. I would agree that make and model helps a lot on trouble shooting these things though. LOL

7. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    coulda picked up an empty bread bag or something similar ....... covered the water intake ports ............. sorta like nascar cars do sometimes ....i've had it happen once on the misipy...............

8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I should have thought to add that as well (dugh!). It is a 115 hp Merc, built in 1991. It has the oil mix that is automatic.

For those that throught the engine seised up, I also thought the same thing (and I prayed I was wrong). However, I did get it to start and run only 7 minutes later. Can a 2 stroke sieze for a bit, and then unsieze just on sheer power from the starter motor? Wierd.

So you would all say for me to take it in and ahve a pro look at it. Yikes, that is probably going to cost. I was hoping to get it out again and see if it runs fine. I am not sure what I will do first, run it or take it in.

CP

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Yes, the water pump started right up when I did get it to fire. I cant say that it was running before all the drama took place, but I assume that it was.

The lower unity oil was 2 seasons old. It looked used, but was not burnt and had no grit or metal shavings in it. I ruled out the lower unit when I saw no motor shavings. Is that correct, or could a lower unity burn out without chipping off metal all over the place? I duno.

CP

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check the oil lines to the oil pump. As I had a 150 do the same thing. And I had a crack in the oil line to the oil pump. and did keep running it .
    To say the least its scrap now.
    So look over the oil lines. As mine had cracks and the oil was not all getting to the oil pump.
    Pete

11. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    You have us all curious. I have no clue what it could be. Only thing I can think of is that your water inlet got clogged and caused the motor to overheat and shut down. I don't think your motor seized up because it started up again.

12. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes a 2-Stroke can partially seize when it gets hot .Happens alot on air cooled engine's and have seen it on water cooled one's also not just outboards either. What happens is the piston gets hot on the intake side and starts to push the piston into the exhaust port side of the cylinder but mostly happens with a lean condition but have seen it when the motor just gets to hot from lack of cooling. then once the motor cools off a little it returns to normal

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I still say it needs to be checked out. Need a compression ck and when they get hot the will cool down but what and how much damage does it do to the cylinder walls.

14. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Well, you guys have convinced me to take it in and get it checked. That is probably the responsible thing to do before I run it 20 miles down the Misouri River before something really bad happens. I will let you all know how that turns out.

CP

15. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I said I would tell you all how it went... Here is the report.

I did not take my motor in. I did a mini-tune up and put fresh gas in the tank. No problems, and I have run it about 20 miles over 3 trips.

I am convinced that the problem was water in the fuel.

Anyhow, thanks all for the help

CP

16. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    And you still don't know the true health of your engine. All you know is that it didn't do the same thing.

You got some good advice and chose to ignore it.

Why did you bother to ask?

17. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Bob Paul,

I came back to read this thread today and noticed that there was a tone in your last post. I am sorry that you were disappointed, and surprised that you felt strongly enough so as to take a tone. You were mistaken in your reply on a point though and I wanted to clear that up... I did not ignore your advice. I used it to make a final decision that ended up solving the problem.

To answer the question that you posted, (which I assume was not rhetorical)… I asked because I wanted to see if there was consensus on the nature of the problem. There was unfortunately no consensus.

I think that should address the misunderstanding, and answer your question.

Thanks again all for the help.

CP

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take it for what it's worth. The names at the top of this forum are mine and Bubba's.

You want good information, we'll give it the best we can.

You want people to vote on the most likely cause, there's other forums to ask in.

You still have no clue as to what health your motor's in and a quick fix to an overheat/siezed engine is what you wanted. There is none, but you can learn what to expect and what to look for in the future, if you'd have listened to Bubba, but no worry, I have no doubt you'll be asking questions again. I'm just not sure where, nor do I care.