Engine problem??? help me. got a tourny soon!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by crazyKat, Nov 26, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a little 20hp crysler. engine has never gave me a problem. yesterday i was in the river and it was running fine shut it off and when i went to start it it wouldnt do nothing. took the top off and noticed that there is a little breaker that was kicked. i pushed the breaker and turned the key and it fired up. went to another spot did the same thing. noticed when i push the breaker about 3 seconds later it kicks. keeps doing it. whats the problem

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sounds to me like you either have a short somewhere in your ignition system or that you may need to replace your breaker.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Inspect all your wires for a rub spot. Sounds like its grounding out and kicking the breaker. Look for real minute things, and after that, wait for BubbaKat. LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There has to be a ground going to hot because the breaker you speak of should be ground activated. What color is the wire going to it. Try wiggling your switch key when it does that. The switch might have went bad and sending the fire back to the breaker.

5. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    I have to say if BubbaKat cant figure it out it must be a boat anchor ~ really appreciate all the advice from ya' guy thanks

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I had a 50 hp merc that kept blowing the fuse. It was was my volt meter that went bad.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may do the lightning test. Run it on muffs in a very dark garage, or at night away from street lights. If there is a break in the insulation, it will look like a small thunderstorm. LOL

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    found the problem. the owner before my had rigged up some auto choke eith a toggle switch, well it never worked so i always manually do it. well i guess i turned the toggle switch on on accident and it had a short cause when i turn it to the off position the breaker doesnt blow. thanks for all the input

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I knew it had to be going to short some where. Well at least you have a remote kill switch now.:big_smile: