Engine Hrs

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by gotta go, Dec 20, 2009.

1. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    My Johnson 120, 1989 has over 600 hrs and still runs like a champ. Whats the life on a marine engine?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Interesting question, I am curious to what the boat guru's have to say on this also.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm no guru, but I'd say that it would vary considerably, depending on how well they are treated and maintained. Through the years, I've noticed that the worst thing that affects them is sitting up and not running. Just like any other engine, take care of them and they will last a LONG time, or dog them hard with no maintenance and rag them out quickly.

Bill in SC

4. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Do the proper maintenance and they will live a long time.And Bill is correct,if you let them sit up and not store them correctly it bad news.also power tuning your engine once a year really keeps everything clean and running good.:wink:

5. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I ask that Ouestion when i got my used Honda with 500 hours A guy responded he had a Honda 4 stroke like the one I got with 10,000 hours he builds docks and sea walls so it gets used alot.....

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...1989 has over 600 hrs...."

Wow, that's not a lot in my opinion for a 20 year-old motor.

Did you mean 6,000??? :eek:oooh:

I have a Suzuki that is two years and four months old and I just did my 300 hour maintainance.

"...600, that's quite a bit..."

I HOPE NOT!! :eek:oooh:

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I put that many hours on mine in one season. It's five years old. :smile2:

8. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    i hope thats not alot of hours or i need to start looking for a new motor mine is only 2 1/2 years old

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a 2004 2 stroke 90 hp Johnson Bombadier with over 500 hours on it. Great motor. I didn't use fuel stabilizer the first 3 years. Had to have the carb taken apart and everything thoroughly cleaned last year when I had it serviced. Cost me $400. The ethanol put in gasoline today is one of the worst things on an outboard motor. That and letting it sit up without using it. Needless to say I add Stabil to every tank of gas I run through it now. Other than that I have had no other problems with it yet. Great motors.

10. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    The life of an outboard is in the hands of its owner I had a 1967 65hp Merc That still runs great today. I can't tell you how many hours it has on it but keeping the maintenance up will keep any outboard engine in good shape.

11. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i dont feel 600 hrs is alot with today outboards,yeah the ficht was junk and put johnson out of business,but that was engineering problems.im not real sure about the e-tec yet either,i have changed out a bunch of their powerheads.even had a service rep tell me, you can not blow a e-tec up.then i showed him the compression readings.stuck his foot in his mouth:eek:oooh:its like anything,treat it good and it should last a long time.but my money goes with the 4 strokes.smooth,easy on the gas and will stand up to a lot of hours of running.just my 2 cents

12. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I'm no mechanic but, I'm sticking with the four stroke never had to choke it one time.

13. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    My 2001 YAMAHA 150 2 stroke saltwater series OX66 has 1900 hours and still running strong.:smile2:

14. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Those yammas dont like to die:wink:

15. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    I have a merc 650 with a couple of thousand hours on it runs like a top. Never been rebuilt I just change out the impeller every year change the gear oil plugs etc I run it dry when I am done using it for the day. SInce 1968 I have never had a issue with it. COuldnt be happier. Heck this ole engine will outlast me.

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    OK so i should had got a Yamaha. They are good Motocross engines also, even if the 4 strokes have to be rebuilt every 30-40 hrs depending on your rider. (dirtbike race engines)
    I have had this boat for almost 2 yrs, not sure about the folks that had it before me but i believe they had it a long time. They were crappie fishermen and fished tournaments, they have sence moved up to one of them white jon boats (G-3 or sea ark not sure which) they live on Wateree now but had a lot of good stuff on the boat. Auto trolling motor, gps,lowrance, enough rod holders for 3 boats. The only thing they did was unhook the oil injector so you have to mix the oil and gas. As far as service goes i mix the oil and gas and put high octane gas in the tank, thats about it:big_smile: This boat had just over 400 hrs on it when i got it, seems he had replaces the power head and had the carbs cleaned from sitting. He replaced the 4 batteries with new ones and then sold it to me. It now has almost 700 hrs and that was before my last fishn trip so it may have over 700 now. I use the boat but do less riding than i did on the Santee. I pretty much put in close to the place i'm going to fish. Now i got a pontoon so my time will be divided between the 2. Wish i had an hr meter on the toon to keep up with the hrs. Its good to hear that boat engines get more hrs than MX dirtbikes. I would rebuild my sons after 30 hrs. I would hate to have to rebuild a boat engine after every 30 hrs of use:eek:oooh: I hope it lasts many more but figured i would ask t get an idea when to start saving for another engine. I really like this boat so getting rid of it ain't no option. I'd pull the 90 off the pontoon and put on this one.(my plans anyway in the future, i want a big 4 stroke on the toon) Well let me get out of here, going to Wateree to put a few more hrs on my engine. I'll let you guys know later how many frozen fish i caught:big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  17. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    my hr meter reads 065891 with the last 2 numbers being in the 1/10 range. So im guessing i have 658.91 hrs

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I haven't seen an hour meter in the 100ths range but what do I know.:tounge_out:

If you have 2 digits after the decimal point being .91, the 9 is in 1/10ths of an hour position and the 1 is in 1/100ths of an hour position.

Can you take a pic? LOL!