engine hot alarm coming on

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tufffish, Jul 26, 2009.

1. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i ran aground on a sand bar yesterday. from then on everytime i try to run on plane the engine alarm comes on saying the motor is running hot. if i run at idle it goes off and stays off. it is pumping water and the water coming out is not hot. i know it is time to replace the water pump anyway, but do you think changing the water pump is all i need to do?
    thanks ahead of time...

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Nope drop the lower unit and take the T-Stat out and back flush the whole system. It most likely sucked the sand up into the water channel the block uses and if not flushed good will plague you with those heat alarms.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    would it be a good time to go ahead and replace the water pump and impeller now? or since it seems to be pumping water ok can i just leave it alone.
    thanks for the help..

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bobby, if you already have to take it down to pull the thermostat and back flush, it would be cheap insurance to go ahead and change the thermostat (preferably a fail safe model) and change out the water pump. Be sure to inspect the water pump housing liner and side plates, if they are worn or discolored from heat, change them too. Good luck.