engine ground wire

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shadmaster, Feb 23, 2008.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Got an 08 50HP mercury 4 stroke. Apparently I overwhelmed the ground wire with the addition of some lights on my boat. Anyway they quit working for lack of a ground to the boat. I found that the engine is no longer grounded to the boat. The engine runs ok and is grounded by the starter cable but there should be a ground connection from the engine to the boat. Any ideas where I might look to repair or replace the faulty wire. I have since grounded the lights directly to the battery since the hull is no longer grounded.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't know much about newer motors, but I've never heard of one having to be grounded to the hull. You get some grounding through the engine ground from the motor being bolted onto the transom, but from what I've read here and other places using your aluminum hull as a ground can cause deterioration of the hull from electrolysis. Good Luck with it!

Branden

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Never , ever ground a boat hull directly to any engine. You will have some grounding through the transom mount but always ground engine to battery and all the other stuff to the battery.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You tell em Bubba!

This here ain't no automobile.:smile2:

5. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    better listen to bubba,hes the king of marine.........

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I agree... ground it through wiring only!

7. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    You are getting sound advice, run a heavy wire direct to your battery ground. Try to find solder- shrink connectors to make marine quality connections. The best solder-shrink connectors are made by Wurth USA, try local body shops. Wurth is best known for body shop supplies. These are the only connectors I will use for trailer wiring.