Enforcement of Horse Power limits on Spring Lake?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by IL Hunter, Apr 28, 2006.

1. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yesterday I was out on Spring Lake where there is a 10hp motor limit. I'm sure there is a reason for this. Well yesterday there was a guy out who definitley had a motor much bigger than this on his boat and was using it. Other people had larger motors, but were only using the small ones. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting in trouble for this, and what kind of punishment is involved?

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    In Arkansas violation of the HP regulations carries a hefty fine on State Lakes, I don't know what they do about private. Game Warden was at Horseshoe Lake last sunday at the ramp watching people coming and going. No restriction on that lake though and I did not see him check anyone for anything.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well this lake isn't state...it's city, but it still iritates me when people show blatant disregard for rules like that. The sad thing is it was a guy who looked to be in his 50's or older, and it's people my age that usually get the bad rap for things.

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im not sure about the penalties but I have been to lakes with much more hp than the limit allowed and I just wouldnt open the motor up. Just cruise at a no wake speed or a very low wake speed depending on the hp limit and nobody has ever said anything to me. Im sure it is mainly there to help keep it safe and to keep from eroding the banks. So if you just use your head and are smart and safe about it Im sure they wont say too much.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    At Diamond Lake in Horseshoe Bend there is a 25 hp limit. I have a 75 on my boat and just leave it in the upright position and use the trolling motor except to load the boat. Haven't had any problems with the law and they have been there and seen that my motor is up. Had the same thing happen at Forsche Lake up in Missouri too.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    In Kansas we have some of those and the fines are really hefty. I saw a guy come flying up a slough we were fishing and the proceed to fish like he owned the place. Ranger came and started writing him a ticket for creating a wake and speed. He began a rain of profanity that would make a sailor blush. Ranger wrote him for not enough PFD's, no fire exstinguisher, verbal assault on an officer and banned him from the lake.

It would have been funny except there were kids fishing the area.