"End of the Line" for Zonaman

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Zonaman, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist a little drama in the title with this topic. :big_smile: I just spooled up my big Diawa with 50 lbs braided. From what I gather, I won't need a leader on that, just tie on the hook with a good knot and rig up a slip sinker stopped at the desired length with some slip shot. Would you concur?

Thanks.

2. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    I have never been a big fan of braided line.I lost a nice fish last year at the boat,due to braided line.It fray's way too easy for me,but some swear by it.If fishing around lots of rocks I wont use it at all.In the colorado river is the only place I'll use braided line.Berkley big game line is my line of choice!!

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    that is a good question, but what about line twist from the live gill? I too wuld like to eliminate as many knots or weak point as possible, but is this truely the way? MORE INFO PLEASE

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was wondering about line twist myself. I could attach a barrel swivel at some point bewteen sinker and hook using braided for leader (I've read about guys who do that) or just get (or make) a 50lb or better wire leader. On the other hand I've also read about guys who just fish as origianlly described. Anyone who's fished with just straight braid from line to hook?

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Zona~ I prefer staight braid to hook when fishing with cut carp. That is the rig I used for the biggun I got at Roosie.. I would be carful at Bartlet or plesant with this approch. The rocks will cut you off no matter the size of your braid.

Attached Files:

6. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    ill take mono over braid any day. id rather have some diameter size there for nicks.

the only time i notice line twist to be a problem is when there is alot of current., then i will use a swivel 6-12 inches from the hook. otherwise tie right to the hook with a slip sinker rig.

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use mono 50# test:big_smile:

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I use Berkely Big Game 50# mono. Is great stuff. Also I like to use a barrel swivel to eliminate line twist, big cats will roll on you and mess up your line if you don't use a swivel. You can vary the length of leader according to the strength of the current, etc.

:cool2:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Last year I used 100lb power pro with a split shot. I never got to test it on a large fish. This year I have 100lb and some newer reels with 65 lb. The 65lb line snaps wayyyy too easily. Therefore I am evolving into going with a swivel (doesn't slid like a split) and going to get some of that there 40 lb Berkely Big Game (Blue mono) for leader material (probably 18 inches or so).

Good Luck,

Shawn

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I use braided, but always use a mono leader with it, usually of lighter test, so that when I hang up and have to break off, I don't lose any expensive superline.

11. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i use power pro 65# and have good luck with it. i use the same line for my leader as i do for my main line. i always use a swivel due to line twist since i am always fishing in current. i have not had any problems with it, but then again i dont fish around rocks to much either.

12. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Ever since Andy introduced me to the sinker sliders, I started using braided line straight to the hook. It seems like a poor idea to have a potential weak spot between you and the fish.

I found though that I was getting some twists in the line when I was fishing at the river with live bait. As well, I had a good run and found that the braided line had cut into the sinker slider. Since then, I have put on a small leader of braided line with a heavy lbs rated barrel swivel. This way the live bait cannot twist the line and it won't affect the sinker slider either. For river fishing, this seems to work real well.

Ryan

13. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've always used mono in the past, but there's something compelling about a photo of carp head on the end of hook. I'll go with the AZflats model and let you guys know what I think of braided!

Thanks to all!

14. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am also experimenting with some lines this year. I have never had to think about a 65lb monster on the end of my line in the past. I have used braided line in the past and liked it. But, I found a good deal on 40lb flourocarbon and have that spooled on my big cat rods now. I usually use a swivel after the sinker and the hook at the end. No monsters yet but I'll let you guys know. I was fishing at Rossie last Saturday night, and got snagged on some rocks, I tried to break the line by pulling and the 40lb flourocarbon actually bent and broke the 3/0 circle hook that I was using rather than yeild to my pulls.

15. Mr.wisker

Mr.wisker New Member

State:
    AZ
    I new here trying to figure out these cat fish. Been catching a few small channels on Bartlett. I want to go for the flats.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Welcome to the BOC Chris.....your sure to learn plenty from this great site.

17. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Judy uses the braided line on her rod and we both use a slightly lighter leader. She got spooled a couple of years ago because we had the main line to the hook while fishing the boils. That stuff costs too much. That 50 pound braid popped like a 22 rifle when it got to the end of the spool. That big ole boy headed toward the dam, not away from it.