End Of Season ........

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 28, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well today is the final day of the 2008-2009 Ohio Trapping Season in most of the state. I pulled traps this morning and was rewarded with 2 XXL rats and a 22# beaver.

Although I would consider it a successful year, I didn't reach all of my set goals. I probably would have been more successful if I had a 4 X 4 vehicle where I could back off of the road. Didn't really think I would need one, but soon found this old body can't walk the 3 or 4 miles, a day, any more I would have needed too.

FINAL TOTALS:

Muskrats ......... 83
    Coon ............. 35
    Mink ............. 19
    Possums .......... 3
    Beaver ........... 9
    Red Fox .......... 1

[​IMG]

Now it is time to regroup and start planning for next year ...

Garry-

2. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Nice take Garry. Only thing I want to know is how you caught so few Possoms. Heck most of the time I have to catch every possom in the area before I can catch anything else....:eek:oooh:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    LOL! .... That is the same question everyone asks ... 2 of them came from my backyard in town and the other one came from live trap set for a coon ... I trap most of my coon in water sets ... so this helps a lot. Garry-

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice season,Garry. Thanks for all the hard work keeping us posted as you did it . Nice to see the day to day that goes into this sport. I hope to get back to doing some myself. This winters money crunch and working just made it impossible to do for me.

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is a very nice years work.Got to leave some seed.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    looks like a nice season you had Garry. how much did the biggest beaver weigh? biggest coon?

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thank You .... Biggest coon went at 25# and beaver at 55# ..... Garry-

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks for the posts Garry.
    I mentioned to my son about needing some trapping spots yesterday.
    Less than 24 hours later I have over 10,000 acres to prospect. I had trouble sleeping last night. This is gonna turn my trapping plans upside down.Not nearly enough traps.Whats fuel prices going to be? Is this old body going to handle it? How am I going to get to some of the best looking places?
    This is gonna be fun.
    Have a good one
    just

9. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Very nice garry but no skunks? I always end up with at lest 4 a year.

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    LOL! .... That is what everyone is asking and why the low number of possums .... It is mostly because I didn't do that much land trapping ... I was even lucky not to get any in my live traps this year .... Maybe I will have bee luck with them next year ..... :wink::smile2: Garry-

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

this year had its ups and downs for sure. i still did well on coons and beaver learned more on bobcats played with the coyotes a bit.i dont understand why kansas dont have a spring muskrat season though they really should

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i love skunks wish i could catch a hundered a year myself

13. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good job Garry! You sure cleaned up on the rats and mink. I hope like others have said that next season I can find more time to trap too! My trapping season this year was hit and miss around working. I can't wait till next season.:smile2: Let us know how you do on the selling of your furs.