End of November Check-In!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by tank3544, Nov 27, 2005.

1. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Haven't seen any reports lately besides my own so i thought i'd put out an all call for virginia catfisherman!

anyone get out recently or is everyone out hunting?

just checking in on the bite meter to see how everyone's doing .. last 2 times for me it was really slow .. one fish each time .. 52 the first time and 41 the second time .. one is sure better than none but i'm still waiting for the big bite to kick in .. a few people have mentioned it has but i'm thinking they just caught the right day .. haven't seen the consistent big fish reports to know its truly ON!

anywho i have some friends coming in from out of state so if anyone has encountered a good bite let me know!

2. fish guts

fish guts New Member

congrats on the two fish!!! i havent had time to get down to the james yet, im still waiting for you to give the (ITS ON!!!!) post. i would have thought that cold snap we had would have done the trick.

3. gweber

gweber New Member

tank3544, I've been out the last three weekends and it's been fairly slow each time. I've had a cooler of big fresh shad by 8am each trip, so bait hasn't been an issue. Three weeks ago the surface temps were 63-60F, two weeks ago it was 60-58F, last week it was 58F and this weekend it was 50-48F. It seems like the temp is getting to a place where it should be good soon.

I've caught a 30# class fish eah trip, but nothing bigger and only two or three small fish beyond that. Last week I had a 28# fish take a head bait in about 8' of water at 4pm. That leads me to believe that these fish are still not totally into their winter pattern yet.

gweber

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    almost 10 degree drop in one week? sweet .. 2 warm days coming now will stabilize the falling temps and as it cools off the rest of the week it will continue its gradual fall .. hopefully by the weekend it'll be mid to high 40's

fish guts don't worry man i'll give you the its on call haha .. i'll be fishing sunday, monday, tuesday so i'll know 100% for sure what the story is!

thanks for checking in guys!

5. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Hey Tank,

Saw your posting on here. My buddy and I are new to this forum as of today but we have been searching for quite a while for a forum that we could find where users cat-fish on the James like us. We recently started fishing the James in the past 3 months or so. We put in at Osborne landing and then we have gone anywhere from Dutch Gap (our usual spot) on down to Turkey Point but had no luck there last time. The biggest fish we caught was a 15 pounder about 2 months ago on a live eel. Since then, no luck. We have looked for some shad schools but have had zero luck with those. I have a cast net but we could use some help from more of an expert such as yourself if you ever wanna chat and meet up on the river sometime. We are actually talking about going to Dutch Gap this Saturday to fish at least half the day there... Last time we went was fist week in November and we caught 2 small ones down by Turkey Pointe. one was less than a pound, and the other was about 3.5 pounds...both on cut shad...I know we are fishing the right spots around Dutch Gap, but just cant seem to hit the jackpot yet...Any advice or guidance on your part would be greatly appreciated and we look foward to meeting you on the river sometime in the near future...
    --M--

6. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    i would probably fish as far away from osbourne as you can at this point

there was a barge wreck spilling liquid asphalt in the water .. that sure isn't going to make it good until that gets cleared up

if you want more info hit me up with a PM

FYI while the dutch gap area produces fish its way over rated

7. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Whats up Tank, Its Willis here. The bite is on ive been doing pretty good the last few weekends in the AM. Many fish over fifty pounds and even a few doubles and triples lately. Been fishing before sun up till about noon below presquile, been launching from hopewell so i dont have to travel too far. Plenty of bait on the flats all the way around presquile. Lost my anchor last weekend but i ordered a new one so hope to be out Sat and Sun.

8. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    hey willis .. good to hear from you again .. i'm gonna drop you a pm