End of good fishing at Baldwin?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by cepierce, Jul 27, 2008.

1. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Hello all, I was wondering when the good fishing winds down here in the Scott AFB area. With Baldwin having warm water at the power plant, does that extend the fishing?
    I have been away from Catfish and Bass fishing for awhile. Just left Alaska and now stationed at Scott. Learning to fish all over again.
    Love the forum site.
    Thanks, Chad

2. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    The fishing is good at Baldwin and Coffeen year round. Baldwin being the choice for the cats and Coffeen for the bass.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Chad, Thanks for your service. Any of the hot water lakes are usually at the best during the "off" months, November-march any way....

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    This can be a tough time of year for Baldwin. Last time I went the water temp was 89 degrees on the south side and 92 on the north end. They can be caught, but you have to be patient and fish the deep water dropoffs. Like Randy said, the power plant lakes tend to be more consistent (at least in my experience) from October-April. I've caught my biggest fish during the coldest weather.

5. cepierce

cepierce New Member

State:
    Scott AFB
    Thanks everyone. I can see I will be on this forum often. I enjoyed the fishing in Alaska, but missed catching the Cats and Bass down here.
    I just bought a 14' jon that I am going to build a short deck on so I can move more freely.
    I am about 270 lbs. so I am brainstorming on some homemade outriggers (maybe 10"-12" PVC pipe) to keep it steady.
    Once again thanks !

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Welcome to the BOC Chad. Glad to see you found us! Baldwin is a very nice lake to fish, but right now is a bit of a pain in the butt for me. Last time I went to Baldwin the water was 94 degrees and it sucked. My guess is it is too hot. Thats my theory and I am sticking to it! Not to the part that I just didn't catch them or locate them. LOL.

7. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thats what makes cooling lakes a big mystery to me. they are always at least a little warm, so i dont really understand the habits of the fish that are..well..inhabiting. they obviously have been living in that lake long enough to get used to the temperature as opposed to a lake that has natural temps, so their feeding habits are a big mystery to me like i said. the stratification factor kinda gets thrown out the window.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the fishing and welcome back! I fear getting stationed somewhere that I am not able to catfish. I have actually selected my duty assignments around this factor.