Enclosure build..

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tbull, Dec 12, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well since I cant fish anyway without a fishfinder, I decided i am going to start on my next project, a full enclosure to stay warm and toasty on the river in the winter (my favorite time to fish:roll_eyes:)...I picked up 7 yards of clear 20 gauge plastic, and a bunch of snaps. I called a marine upholstery guy and he wanted 1000-1500$ to do it, after laughing for about 15 minutes, I gathered my emotions back up, and decided to tackle this on my own.

I already have the bimini top, that snaps onto the walkthrough windshield, so all I need to make are the side windows, and a drop down for the back, to create a full enclosure, complete with a heater!:big_smile:

I will post some before and after pics, I wanted to get some advice from you guys. I have never been in a boat that has the full enclosure. What do you think would be the best way to do the drop down on the back? Do they usually just hang straight down? Zippers and all that stuff are out of the question, will require someone to sew zippers on and I dont have the $ for something like that..

I thought about just screwing down a couple snap studs to the floor, and just snapping it down on to the floor on each side. I dont want it to be a pain to get to the rods, especially in the winter when these blues will have those rods buried in a split second. Any ideas are appreciated...Thanks bro's, and sis's...:wink:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I look forward to seeing your progress. Everyone should build their own enclosures if possible.

Bill in SC

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I don't know if I'm quite picturing everything your doing but what about some heavy grade velcro?

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I thought about velcro as well, the only problem is I can see that it needed stitched on as well, simply because that adhesive will probably fail after a while in the elements, cold, rain,etc...Good thinking though...That stuff isnt cheap either. I think it was around 20$ for 15ft..:eek:oooh:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Travis i got to take a min to give you hello cant fish with out a fish finder :crazy::eek:oooh: lol what a exscuse lol :smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i was thinking the same thing. i use to do perty good without one!

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Correct me if I am mistaken, but fishing in December and January in Ohio is a little different than fishing in Georgia during those months :smile2::wink:

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I think the plastic across the back split down the middle with snaps on the floor would keep it functional and pretty much out of the elements. When achored down I would have one side buttoned down but the other side unsnapped so you can react to a rod going down quicker. Might want to consider some snaps down the middle also so when your runnin to a different spot you will have a little more closure to keep the heat in and the cold out.
    I felt the same way a few months ago about the depth finder. I had to send mine in for repair so was lost without it but that did not stop me from fishing which actually turned out pretty good.
    Post the progress as you get it going.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Mine is split in the middle of the back with a zipper, and just hangs down to the floor with no attachment along the floor itself, it just drapes there. It does snap on the sides from the floor to the railing. Above the railing it is zipped to the side curtains.

I wish I had better pictures of the back, but this is what it looks like from the side, it may help a little: http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh271/garyf_bucket/Lowe/102_0071.jpg Basically you slide the middle zipper up and step on through it to get to your rods.

This top came with the boat. If I was building it, I'd probably use industrial velcro for the center split in the back, and snaps for everything else. The industrial velcro has a pretty tough adhesive, and would probably last several seasons. You could sew over it by hand (doesn't have to be pretty) and it would probably last as long as the fabric.

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    alot different, us southern boys like it balmy.
    the cold sucks.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    when i build mine in a couple weeks after my material gets here im like you going to use my bimmi top as the frame and attatch the clear vynil to it

as for getting to the front deck im going to use a heavy duty rust free zipper .

as far as the back of the boat im going to either leave it open or add a rod to my bimmi top and make a shower curtian type thing .

ive been in boats with the back being zipped and I myself didnt like it .

I am warm blooded tho so some may want it that way , but im going more towards just keeping the wind off while fishing and like you im also going to use a heater so i feel just having the front and the sides will be enough and keep getting to my rods as easy as possible .

but i think the shower curtian type back that people can just sling across will do enough for me , the days i want the back closed with my shower curtian idea if the wind is blowing im just gonna add a couple 6 or 8 ounce sinkers to the bottom corners to keep it from floping around if needed

:big_smile::big_smile: great post I cant wait to see you build yours it will give me great ideas

like you no way in hell am I giving 1000, to 1500 $$$$ for a shop to make

shoot ive allready priced the clear 40 gauge vinyl needed to do mine and that was only 176 to 200 $$ zippers ,, snaps ,, velcro is only around another 100 to 150 bucks .

so the total bill will be less then 400 $$$$ thats way cheaper then 2 shops i talked to wanted .

reps to ya for doing it yourself and cant wait to see your pics as ya do it !!!!:wink::big_smile:

gary f was nice enough to find this site for me they have everything i need to build a encloser ..

thanks gary :wink::big_smile:

WWW.AHH.BIZ

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have tarped mine many many times. I used the flexible separatable tent poles instead of investing in a bimin top. I do that so I can set it up in the front or back of the boat. You know, you can sew your own zipper or velcro with a large needle and power pro line. I acually use bungee cords to secure mine. I thought for an opening those short ones with a ball on the end of them might work too. Where did you find the clear plastic and how expensive is it? That interests me for sure.

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I got mine at a place called Joann's Fabric, for 7 yards it was only about 60$...But, 20 gauge was as thick as they had, I think is should be fine though..May double up on the sides since they will be taking most of the wind.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont need the finder, I need sonar. My Lower Unit is to expensive to be flying around not knowing the depth. I like to go fast!:big_smile:

15. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Exactly what I was hoping to do with my boat. Good luck on the project and definately post some pictures.

16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Travis,
    Get yer arse out there. I'm sure you know enough places that you have been before.
    Looking forward to seeing your enclosure...W

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    good luck with the cover need one myself maybe a future project​

18. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
  19. Steve

Steve New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just finished up an enclosure on my boat. How close are you to Harrison? I might be able to help you out. I do have an Industrial sewing machine. If you want shoot me a pm.
    Steve

20. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Travis have you thought about using the strips of vinal like the have in commercial buildings they should hand there good an you just push them out of the way an walk thru them