Emory River

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by ut1trey, Nov 25, 2009.

1. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Curious if the Emory produces any monsters. My brother in law is from Coalfield and he took me camping at Nemo on the the Emory (pretty sure it was the Emory, I know the Obed and Emory merge around there), anyway where we camped, there looked to be some nice deep holes that could produce some big ones. I did see huge musky that someone caught and left on the bank. Festus, I know it's your neck of the woods and would love to hear your take on the river (musky, bass, cats) and anyone else's who fishes there. Man, it's beautiful around there and I plan to get up there and camp/fish again.

2. festus

festus New Member

We were out there 3 times this spring/summer, and it rained every time. The river was too high and we couldn't get through the tunnel to get to the junction. However, on the second trip, I did get to fish Daddy's Creek, a little farther out, for 20 minutes. Caught a little smallmouth and a decent redeye, then here came the downpour again.

However, in the past, I've had good luck out there, Trey. The last time I had a chance to really fish it we were in a canoe years ago and caught redeye and smallmouth on crawdad crankbaits all day. Nothing big, but a fish every other cast or third cast. 14" smallmouth was probably the biggest, and plenty of 8" redeye. I haven't really fished for catfish out there since I was much younger, and we weren't seriously fishing much back then, but if we camped, we'd usually always catch enough to eat. I've seen plenty of muskies out there, but couldn't get them to hit, didn't really give it a chance. No doubt, there are plenty of trophy muskies and catfish in there. We used to have good outdoor newspaper reporting, but our local paper hasn't featured any big fish photos in years, they're concerned more with politics. Those are typical river smallmouth, long and lean, and fight like the dickens. Parts below the Crooked Fork junction may still have a few rainbow.

Did you get to go through the tunnels? Didn't know your bro-in-law was from out here, might know him or heard of him. There's one guy from Petros that fishes for muskies out there quite a bit with live suckers, but I haven't seen him in a while.

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I fish a lot on down river in the emory where i can get the boat. Catch a lot of 40 pounders and twice had a new state record on in the little emory but he got off both times. My personal record is still 43 pounds. My next door neighbor catches a lot of 40 pounders from nemo to bridge 90. He keeps throw lines out all summer and walks in. He always dresses what he keeps and packs them out but he caught a 48 incher this summer. I figure it was 50 or so pounds. there are loads of smallmouths in all those creeks down there and like festus said they sure can fight.

4. festus

festus New Member

Look at my avatar, Trey. This photo was taken below the Nemo Campground. It was snowing in April, so we figured it would be better to head on out toward Crossville and do some sightseeing instead of wasting our time fishing because the river was on the rise. This is normally the little dry weather ditch you step over before you get to the swimming hole next to the bridge.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Yep went through the tunnels and but we actually camped near the public camping area near the bridge. If your facing the river there with bridge being on your left, we went to the left onto the rr property so the twra wouldn't mess with us for drinking cold beers. There was a rope swing there and on up from it was a nice place to camp. You know where I'm talking about? I caught a couple of small cats, bluegills, small mouth, and red eyes. We were using small tackle and had night crawlers. There appeared to be a deep hole where we were camping that looked like it would hold some big ones, but I really didn't know what I was doing then. I would love to go back there with the knowledge that I have now.

6. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Well, you answered my question about big ones there, thanks. I will get back up there before too long. I'm only about 45 mins away.

7. festus

festus New Member

I don't remember the rope swing, but it's probably at the Obed/Emory junction. That's where we put in the canoe, but we actually fished upstream. We had to drag the canoe through some shallows to get it back where we wanted. You could sight fish for the redeye and smallmouth. It's pretty common to catch and release a hundred fish a day.

The Litte Emory and Emory River sections of Watts Bar Lake near Harriman are dern good places to fish for a wide variety of species, as Mr. Craddock mentioned. I caught my personal best catfish in this area from the bank. It's been at least 20 years, got it on a big gob of nightcrawlers. We didn't weigh it or have a tape with us, but it had to be at least 38-40 pounds. Got it on 8 lb. test, and turned it loose.

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Frank, there's a fellow who lives somewhere down around the old Dutch Tavern or Big Mama's or whatever that bar is called near the Hwy 61 bridge on Little Emory. He goes by the nickname "Catfish." He told me in the past he thought he had the state record from Little and Big Emory and it got away. I quit running the bars many years ago, but I'd like to look him up and see how he's doing. Don't really know his real name, but you've probably seen him before.

9. festus

festus New Member

I may have posted these somewhere else already, but this is the Little Emory River in my backyard. It's almost 6' deep in one spot. Years ago before the strip mining of coal, it was at least 10' deep. Got redbreast sunfish, bluegill, redhorse suckers, yellow bullheads, chubs, shiners, and some small largemouth, maybe just under 2 lbs. up this far.

10. festus

festus New Member

Here's a photo of the tunnel. It was just too full of water to get through to our fishing hole every time we went out there this year. This tunnel is about half a mile long, I think.

11. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Looks like a good place to catch bait:tounge_out:

12. festus

festus New Member

It is, Pondwater. I caught a redbreast sunfish in here once that was 9-1/2" long. Biggest one I ever seen.

13. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Must be nice to have water in the backyard. I'm jealous.

14. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Yep....been there. Thanks for the pic, Festus.

15. festus

festus New Member

This creek is 2,3, or maybe 4 miles from the Nemo Bridge. It's a swimming hole called "The Cold Hole."

16. festus

festus New Member

I'm fairly sure I posted this somewhere else, but this is the falls below my house.

17. festus

festus New Member

This is about a half hour or so past Nemo headed toward Crossville. It eventuall dumps into the Obed or Emory. Got to catch a couple of small fish out of it before the monsoons returned.

18. festus

festus New Member

Here's another good bait spot for crawdads, shiners, and chubs, Kevin. It just down the road a ways. About a mile