Emmrod Packer Combo, First Impressions

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rich-online, Dec 4, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I recently purchased an Emmrod Packer rod with a Synergy 10 reel. Given the problems I've been having casting when standing shoulder-to-shoulder on the charter boats, I thought I'd use the rod with a nice saltwater baitcaster.

The first thing that struck me is that the rod is short. When I assembled it, my daughter immediately assumed that it was for her because it was shorter than her Barbie pole by several inches.

The bad news was that the reel seat is sized for freshwater reels. My Penns had feet that were too long and too wide. However, I might be able to make do with a cable tie.

When it came time to test, I was not particularly impressed by the casting distance with 1/4 oz. weights and lures. Because there is little pull, it's very difficult for me to time the cast correctly. However, when I changed to 1/2 oz., I was impressed. I was getting pretty close to the same distance as I had for my 6' rod with a spinning reel.

One of these days, I hope to actually catch a fish on this rod and judge the fighting action. However, from a casting standpoint, this combo performs much better than I'd expected.

-- Rich