Emmrod Packer Combo, First Fish

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rich-online, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I finally managed to catch a fish with my Emmrod Packer Combo. As I mentioned in my previous post on the combo, the rod is less than 24" long, and it uses a coil spring to provide the fighting action. Since this is rated up to 25#, it is a rather stiff rod.

My fish was a 10" or so rainbow trout, courtesy of the California DFG. I was fortunate to have used the hanging bobber method of strike detection, that small a fish barely bent the rod.

The overall feel was much different than what I'm used to; for such a small fish, it felt as though the rod had as much give as a broomstick. The technique for setting the hook is also a bit different; I held the rod with arm extended and brought the arm quickly from horizontal to vertical.

The other surprise was that, due to the length of the rod, the fish was able to swim under the dock where I was fishing. However, getting the fish to where I could net it was fairly easy.

The bottom line is that this seems to be reasonably suited for the sort of trout fishing I do during cold weather. I look forward to seeing how it handles the catfish and the rockfish.

-- Rich

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wow Rich that's a pretty cool looking fishing pole be great for throwing in a backpack and moutain bikeing to a lake or pond to fish.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    James --

The real fun start when rockfish season starts up here. I mainly wanted a short boat rod because I can't cast the 6-footer when I'm standing shoulder-to-shoulder. I do have to warn you, however, the rod isn't cheap; I managed to get mine via eBay auction for about $56 after tax and shipping.

-- Rich

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Can you post pics of this rod combo..... sounds interesting.....

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    There is a guy in our kayak fishing club that uses the Emmrod all the time. picks up channel 4 and 12 pretty good as well...:smile2: :smile2:

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Looks like something for ice fishing
    Loop