Emergency starting of outboard

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Robert4361, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Robert4361

Robert4361 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My motor is equipped with an electric start, it is an 85hp johnson outboard, i'm wondering if i can start it with a pull rope if my battery goes dead, and if so, what r the steps to doing this properly.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Need to know the year to dertmine this. Look on top of the flywheel and see if it has the notches to hang the rope in. The procedure would be to manuelly choke it and pull like the dickens. Hand cranking an 85 ain't going to be an easy chore. Thats why I carry a battery boster box with me.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I tried it with my 60 horse. Between the compression of the engine and the surface you are standing on constantly in motion I couldnt get it started. I threw the rope away and like Bubba, joined the 21st century with a boost box.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I read a tip in one of the boating magazines that if you have a larger engine with multiple cyliners you can remove a couple of plugs and get it cranked with less compression then replace the plugs when it starts.Something like that but I always felt hanging over the back of the engine removing plugs etc it would be my luck to drop one over the side etc.:smile2:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am not as worried about hanging over the side and dropping a plug as I am about what that plug is going to do to me when it makes contact with the block and fires. Can you say OUCH or a few other words that won't or shouldn't be heard in sunday school :eek:oooh:

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Small price compared to jerking a shoulder out of place.