Emerald Shiners

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Jerry60k, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Anyone fish with these for bass or catfish.They are extremely abundant in my area and work well for most anything that feeds on other fish including Walleye,Flatheads,Channels,Bass pretty much everything.

What I was wondering is what are some of the tricks anyone uses to catch/trap these.I typicly just use a peice of line and a fine #10 or #12 aberdeen hook with tiny peice of nightcrawlers.

Anyone ever use the packaged ones from places like WalMart ?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have use live Shiners, for Channels.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i caught a bunch of 6 inchers the other day at a culvert with my cast net. normally i would use an umbrella net for them, but i was going for shad. i used them live and cut and only caught stripers on them. in the past i have caught a lot of good fish on them live or cut, but right now it seems there's too many stripers in the river.

4. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    My baitdealer up here in ohio loves them for big cats and they sell like crazy,for catching them i would use a castnet (fastest) or a minnie trap with bread should do. i like creek chubs best.

5. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I hardly ever get them in a cast net unless they are real big.

I did make a trap that I will be posting for everyone to make in the next few days.Worked good this morning I caught about 2 dozen in 10-15 minutes.

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    brett welcome to the boc from dayton ohio

7. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I've never caught anything on the ones in the yellow envelope from Walmart. I wouldn't even try them if I was you. If you can get them live or freshly dead ones use something else.

I am sure they have worked for some because they have been on the market for years and wouldn't be if they didn't work. I just haven't had any luck with them.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I USE JUMBO'S MINNOWS AND HAVE COUGHT SOME NICE BLUE'S AND YELLOW'S ( LIVE ONLY )

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have more luck with chubs for the catfish, the shiners, I have always caught either crappie or bass on them, I havent ever caught a cat yet on a shiner, but I guess catfish still might eat them there isnt a whole lot that a catfish wont eat.