Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am putting together a bobber rig for channel catfish and pike. Also gonna use it for light weight bottom fishing <1 oz. I was thinking a medium heavy or heavy bass rod 6'6 or 7ft would be fine with a 4000 size reel. I am looking at the Daiwa Emcast and the Daiwa BG. Which one do you guys think is better? Would the emcast be too bulky with that bite n run feature? Gonna be using this mostly in areas with cover, where creeks leak into rivers where its at most 6 feet deep. If there are cheaper just as good alternatives I am open to that as well. Even combos for that matter. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Im not sure of the cost difference because I'm in a hurry and wanted to post but have you considered the Penn fierce Iii with or without the liveliner option. I have 2 and they are my first Penn reels and my most expensive I've bought at about $100. I typically can't spend much on gear but I did because other baitrunners failed. And someone told me about these. I love them. I gave most all my other other spinning reels to my kids because I use the Penn pretty much most of the time. They are built like tanks and cast a long ways. The LL has that secondary drag that is nice so your rod doesn't get stolen by a fish. Anyway just my 2 cents

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,365 Posts
I have a 5000 Emcast and will warn you to put your hands on one before you purchase it. The 5000 I have is about the same size of an Offshore Angler 10000 that I also have. It is larger than another 8000 size reel I have. It has been a good reel but if the size is what I expect it will be way too big for a bass style rod.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I haven't played with either of them, but my preference is to have a baitfeeder option. I think of it as insurance from a rod getting yanked in the drink more then anything else 😂

The okuma trio baitfeeder is a good reel in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the Daiwa Emcast BR LT 5000C and the BG in the 4000 size. The Emcast is actually smaller than the BG and would probably pair better with the type of rod you described in my opinion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay guys so I am holding off on a reel at the moment now.... I just saw that Whisker Seeker came out with their Catfish&Carp rod so I preordered a spinning version. Rod definitely seems like it would be perfect for what I am doing. Once the rod comes in I will take it over to bass pro and try some reels on it and see which one feels best and get back to ya.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have two of those same rods that should be delivered today. I'll let you know my thoughts on the two different reels I mentioned as to how they seem to pair up, but your plan to take the rod with you is the best way to go for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have two of those same rods that should be delivered today. I'll let you know my thoughts on the two different reels I mentioned as to how they seem to pair up, but your plan to take the rod with you is the best way to go for sure.
They end up coming in bud?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yes sir. They’re very light in the hand and out of the reels I have the emcast feels the best. I have two Daiwa 20 GS BR LT 5000-C which is the same thing as the emcast br lt, but with gold spools. It makes a nice lightweight balanced combo.
7B7125D6-DB98-452B-AB7D-97849D261E9C.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a few BG's my favorite being the 4500,rigged it tonite for slip floating flatheads this weekend.Hard to go wrong with a BG.........the quality is there.Absolutely the smoothest drag I have ever used.I fish big blues mostly and the BG's are my go to's.For your own personal needs I would say a 3500 would be perfect

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes sir. They’re very light in the hand and out of the reels I have the emcast feels the best. I have two Daiwa 20 GS BR LT 5000-C which is the same thing as the emcast br lt, but with gold spools. It makes a nice lightweight balanced combo.
View attachment 323713
Just got mine. You are right, very light! Shit i could see even a 2500 or 3000 reel on this thing. Definitely a cool rod though. Still undecided on the reel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts