Embarrass River - Anyone catching any catfish?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mattoonboy4, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    is anyone doin any good on the embarrass river so far this year??? i've been concentrating on the kaskaskia but its about time for a change in scenery.

2. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I heard of some guys that caught a 73 pounder pole fishing a couple of years ago.

3. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Watch the weather reports. When they get hard rains in Champaign, fish the Embarrass as the water is rising. After the water rises and starts to go down, the fishing gets poor again. But, the same thing holds for the Kaskaskia north of Lake Shelbyville.
    I crossed the Embarrass last night and it looked like it was muddy and rising. There are some big fish in both rivers, you just need to be there at the right times. I have bank fished both rivers a lot but I wouldn't fish without a boat these days.
    You guys need to check our Ridge Lake at Fox Ridge. I think they still let you use their boats to fish the lake with. They feed the catfish there and it used to have some big ones in it.

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow, i never knew that about fox ridge! The last time I was out there it seemed they were having some seroius moss problems? So where exactly would you fish for cat in the heat of the day out there? Are there any holes you know of?

Weird that you're from Neoga. I just married a girl from neoga less than a year ago. I bet you know her dad. You know any Dow's?

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry Bobby, i didnt mean to hijack your thread. E and I went and checked out that boat ramp area the other night. That will be a pretty short drive from eastern for you guys.

6. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    haha, its cool. thats what the website is for, just sharing info. any questions that u ask will benefit me too, we fish the same spots and sometimes even fish together.

7. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    To be honest, I haven't fished Ridge Lake for a long while. But, I do know it was carefully managed and the fish used to be fed daily. Maybe it has changed. The Lake managers should know how to deal with the moss problem but I couldn't say how it is being run these days. I know it used to have some big channels in it and it didn't have a moss problem.
    I know of some Dows around Neoga but not very well.

8. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i went by ridge lake a couple days ago and they had the walk way closed. how do i get to the boats? also, thanks for the info on the river.

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    You used to have to book using the boats in advance but I can't tell you anything about it these days. Talk to the park ranger, he will be able to tell you the rules and regulations. I don;t know if the Dept. of Natural Resources are still running the lake or not. It used to have some big channels in it.

10. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks, next time i go out there i will talk to someone.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    If you can find a way to fish there, it is worth the effort, or, it certainly used to be.