Embarrasing moments on a boat

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by BigCatSteve, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    A few years ago i was in Michigan with my Mom and Stepdad,well me and mom decided we wanted to go fish while stepdad slept,we get in the boat and head out into the lake,we pull up to a spot and shut off the engine and get ready to fish,(for bass).It was a windy day and i go and put the trolling motor in the water,the wind and waves on the lake begins to push us into some lilly pads.I try to move us with the trolling motor and to my surprise the battery is dead,so we pull it up and decide to go charge it and try again in a few hours,well after we get situated and averythng strapped down i try to start the motor and nothing,by this time we are in the middle of the lilly pads.We had to paddle ourselves out of the lillypads and when we did we figured out that the reason the motor would start was i didnt push in the key before turning it,we had so many people watchin us and laughing i wanted to curl up in a ball and hide.

anyone else have any stories like this one would love to hear them

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    well i was with my dad in our old boat fishing CJ Brown in late october when i was 5. We were fishing for walleye. My dad stopped the boat to get the poles situated, as he walked back to hand me my pole he tripped over the tackle box and went head first into the chilly water. To this day i have never seen my dad move so fast, i was trying to not laugh because i could tell he was furious and to be honest i was scared stiff. To this day he will not acknowledge that, that day ever heappened :0a17:

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    15 years ago went to the lake to go water sking. Got the boat in the water and the truck and trailer parked. Parking lot is 200 yards from the launch ramp. When I just about get back to the boat everyone in my boat is hollering for me to go ge the trailer. I forgot to put the plug in before I launched the boat. So I reached in and put the plug in then went and got the boat back on the trailer and let it drain. I bet there was 200 gallon of water in it.

The funny part was that my dad went the day before and they did the same thing.

Moral of the story make sure you put the plug ing before launching the boat and have more than 1 person double check on a pre launch inspection.

Bad part I am a slow learner. I did it again before I learned for good.

4. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I've done the same exact thing although it was my saftey lanyard keeping it from running. My first boat with one so I checked everything to no avail. :confused: Once I had a boat flagged and about to drag me in the guy says "plug your saftey key in under the throttle control", BAM! I had fire again. Good thing this guy had done the same....

Lucas

5. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    here is another one,about 4 years ago me and a buddy took his johnboat to a little pond to do some fishing,we ent around thos pod for about2 hours we paddle to where we put in and he climbed out as i tried my foot slips off the rock i go in the dring and in the process i push the boat with my other foot about 20 feet toward the middle.....gosh im an idiot

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    not as bad as me and jake going out to the pond here by my house in the raft steve, we got out there in the middle of the pond started fishing when i realise...... Crap the cap on the raft isnt on good, we paddled as fast as possible barely making it to a place we could stand and get all of the stuff out, thank god that was a 3 chambered raft or it could have been much worse

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    is it safe for me and you to get in a baot together Nate.That could get real interesting

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey we can only find out steve

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well its only a matter of time this year,

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i some how doubt we get the boat out this year seeing how your step dad thinks its a garage ornament

11. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Well just this november we were on the Missouri in search of some big blues. Well my buddy invites this chick that he had been seeing for a few weeks. Well needless to say when she got to the ramp she was already half sloshed, which to me kinda turned me off on the Idea of bringin her. Well we get set up on our fist dike and she starts complaining that she has to go real bad. Well she drops trouser hangs her cheeks over the side of the boat, and well. SPLASH!!!!! It was scary at first but we got her right back in the boat. To this day she has never called him, he refuses to bring women along fishing, and we laugh about it everytime we are on the water.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was about 10.After carefully winding the pull cord on my little 1 1/2 hp.outboard,I gave it a mighty yank.(no recoil start).The motor started,and the knoted rope flew out and hit my father in the STERN.He happened to be leaning over the side of the boat,filling the minnow bucket.He jumped clean out of the boat,into the water.As luck would have it,there was a crowd at the landing.Before the week was out,I think everyone within 20 miles of the Santee had heard about it.Not many people had phones back then.I was reminded of this over 30 years later,by a truck driver in Savannah Georgia.I wish that was all that I was ever reminded of.peewee-williams

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A friend of mine was fishing across from a amusmic park and my buddy caught a pier. I had one foot on the boat and one on the pier getting his hook unstuck. A gust of wind hit the boat and this boy hit the water. When I climbed up my motor to get back in the boat the people at the park were claping.
    Bill

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I got a fourteen foot semi-v boat and one of my friends went with me down to Clinton. He said he had fished from a boat a lot, I don't think so. We find a place we thought would be good and poof there goes my brand new anchor and 60 feet of new rope. As if that wasn't enough we went to a small cove right beside the dam and started casting for Bass. First cast I nail a huge Bass, he comes up out of the water, pole breaks, cuts my line so I did the normal thing. I beat what was left of my rod on the side of the boat until there was only the handle and reel and threw them in also. Two weeks later at Pontiac, I was in the K-Mart checking out some new Ugly stiks, guy starts telling me about watching a guy catch a bass, pole breaking and all of it. I told him that's why I'm looking for a new pole. We both got a good laugh at that time, but not when it happened, he was the only one laughing. It's probably 60 miles from Clinton to Pontiac.

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Stories are great everyone,thanks for all the laughs,just glad to see im not the only one that totally forgets to use his brain.keep them coming so everyone can keep laughing with us

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Ok here we go............Two weekends ago a couple of my buddys wanted to go fishing. so they show up sunday morning and We hook up the boat and pull it out of the back yard into the driveway. I tell them That she hasn't been started for a while and I wanted to start it at home. so we drag out the hose and earmuffs and proceed to crank the motor over,and over and over, and over........nothing. so we start checking stuff, we pull the spark plugs and clean them off and replace .....still nothing. well we decide that it needs new plugs and will have to wait till next sunday.

so next Sunday the guys show up and we run down the street and pick up three new spark plugs for the boat @ $10 a piece (highway robbery as far as I'm concerned, but whatcha gonna do I've gotta have them right?) so we go back home and install the new plugs and still nothing. We pull a plug and crank the motor and we have no spark....Hmmmmmm. so I check all the fuses on the motor and they are all good! Hmmmmmmm....so I go dig out the owners manual and go to troubleshooting section, as i'm walking back outside flipping to the cranks but won't start section saying something about how there is no way this stupid little book is gonna help. The FIRST thing on the list; "check safety switch lanyard'.........What a dumb @$$ I AM!!!!!

17. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I was getting ready to take my boat out of the water when, not thinking I throw the rope onto the boat. Well the current takes the boat out about 25 feet from shore and I have to dive into the water and swim to get my boat and then swim back to the dock while my 5 year old grandson is freaking out seeing his Pap Paw swimming after the boat. Well two old codgers come over and one says to the other wouldn't think it would be that hard to take a boat out of the water. The other says maybe he needed the exercise and I am standing there water dripping off me fuming, but I say nothing and trying to get the heck out of there. The two old codgers must of been in their mid 70's at least, but they still had a sense of humor.

18. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    The first boat I built was in a freinds barn. This boat had a canopy and being my first homemade boat I spent 2 months working on it. It was 20 ft. long and I was so proud . As I was pulling out of the barn door I forget that the door height was less than the driveway and I tore the top completly off.If you build a boat alwas check for clearences!

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    ran my boat about 4 miles into the wind with the trolling motor because the
    %$#@^%* Mercury on the back won't hit a lick. Tie it up, back the trailer in to load it and a friend walks up and I tell him my troubles, he reaches over in the boat and flips the kill switch up, hits the key and starts it right up.

Another time when I was a kid, me and a buddy get in a little home made wooden boat, push off and start paddle'n like crazy, show'n off to a bunch of girls on the bank, when we hit the end of the rope tied to the back of it , it jerks the whole transom out of the boat and we go down with the ship.

20. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i was crappie fishing with my daughter and son in law. we had found a great spot and several boats had moved in as close as they dared. after a while i heard water tinkling. i looked around and my daughter was hanging over the side of the boat. she was wearing a short skirt with nothing underneath. no one said a word till we were in the car on the way home. her only statement was i had to go and we were not giving up our spot for that.