Emails needed from all BOC members!/Say NO to bowfishing for catfish in Texas!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TxCatfishGuide, Nov 17, 2005.

1. TxCatfishGuide

TxCatfishGuide New Member

State:
    Texas
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20051107a

Catfish

TPWD will be seeking public input on the possibility of making bowfishing a legal means of take for catfish.

To comment on freshwater fishing proposals, send an e-mail to ken.kurzawski@tpwd.state.tx.us

TAKE THE TIME TO LET THEM KNOW THAT CATFISH ARE A SPORT FISH, IN FACT THE #2 SPORT FISH IN TEXAS AND NEED TO BE PROTECTED.

WE NEED TO BE TAKING STEPS TOWARDS CONSERVATION OF CATFISH AND ESPECIALLY TROPHY FISH NOT INVENTING MEANS TO LET OTHERS CATCH THEM BY BOW AND ARROW WITH LITTLE TO NO CHANCE OF SURVIVAL.

txcatfishguide

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Just sent my email. Suggested that carp and alligator gar be removed from the list of species bowfishermen can hunt also.

3. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I just sent my email too. All catfisherman need to send a email to this website. This is something that just can not happen period. :cursing:

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    My e-mail went out today also !

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    why the opposition to bowfishing? im not trying to be antagonistic in any way, am simply curious as to the reasons for the obvious disapproval of allowing whiskerfish to be taken via bow.

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Already sent. The opposition to bow fishing is to keep it classified as a game fish. If they would allow it on the catfish why not allow it on bass. It would essentially classify it as a rough fish when in fact it is one of the most sought after fish in the waters.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thanks for the input

8. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Guys and Gals, we need the whole BOC family involved in this one.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I posted the information about the propose reg change on texaskayakfisherman.com. Usually, that site is full of people who will fight changes in rules that affect game fish. So far, only got a luke warm response. One fellow who guides on hill country rivers for bass even stated that since there was no longer a shortage of catfish in Texas, it should be permitted. I suggested that if that's the case, then we should open bow fishing up for bass and redfish where plentiful. Can't you just see the uproar if TPWD was to propose bowfishing for redfish, a fish that would be easy pickings for bowfishermen when the reds are tailing in shallow water? I guess it all dependes on who's gamefish is getting gored.

10. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    sent my email in too,days ago but never got a responce anybody else recieve a responce? what i never understood if cats are considered trash fish then why is it in all the restraunts and not bass, and why is it in all the stores and not bass. just curious????????????

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    This is funny to me. I'm a bowfisherman and I shoot carp, gar and have shot catfish. In Ky. you can shoot them in the ohio river with a Ky lic. and there is some states that you can shoot northern pike, which is a game fish. I know you guys don't like bowfisherman, but on this site there are quite a few. I have seen this thread on other sites. I believe in bowfishing for catfish as long as you eat them. But I guess to each his own.

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One of the problems with bow fishing is policing it. Catfish may be one of the most difficult fish to hunt with a bow, rarely find them tailing or rolling like carp or gar. So, the take may be small. But, from what I've seen of bow fishermen, too many of them just leave the carcass of the fish to rot. I suspect it would be the same with cats since its not the most efficient way to take catfish and so many hunters are into the hunt, not the eating. Also, size limits are more easily ignored by bow fishermen. Once an undersized fish is shot with an arrow, the likelyhood of its survival to be released is almost nil, and its ability to survive after release is probably even lower. The day may be coming when carp are no longer allowed to be taken by bow. Carp fishing is growing as a sport, many carpers practice catch and releas, and that's something you can't do if shooting the animal with a bow.

13. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Desperado, I never said I hate bowfishermen, heck I like to bowfish. Your point is well taken but catfishing is not in the same boat as trashey gar or carp but like you said we are all different.
    Nathan, I have'nt heard anything yet from the state either.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You probably won't hear back from the TPWD contact. His role is only to take comments, though it would be nice if the comment was acknowledged. Used to work for cities and often advertised for public comment. Its a collection operation, not an information or response one.

15. Catkabobber

Catkabobber New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    what ever happened? can you bowfish big cats?

Bud

16. Catfishmomma

Catfishmomma New Member

State:
    Irving, Texas
    Just sent my email to them.

17. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Got em'! I kinda let em' have it a little bit though. Sometimes you have to be CROSS to get your point aCROSS.

18. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I think it's great that your State's dept of wildlife wants YOUR input on proposed changes. I by all means believe that if there something you don't like make your voice heard. I'm sure your concerns are looked at will have a huge impact on their decision on whether or not to allow bowfishing. We have similar hearings every year in Oklahoma and I always like the chance to voice my opinion and they have changed proposed changes based on our feedback. I know it really sounds like allowing bow fishing for catfish is a step in the wrong direction when we are trying to preserve our sport. When you really think about it how many more catfish will actually be harvested by allowing bowfishing? I would say not very many at all. There's not the opportunity's to kill a catfish with bow as there is with carp and gar. How many times do you see catfish at the surface or shallow enough to hit with a bow? I know it can be done but there really isn't the opportunity to kill catfish with a bow like there is with "other" fish. I really believe to preserve the sport of catfishing the ways of taking a fish isn't as important as limits or slot limits placed on fish. I love all ways in taking catfish that are legal here in my state. We still have great populations of all species even with all the ways they can be taken. The limits of catfish taken will IMO have a greater impact on the quality of fishing compared to the means by which there are taken. JMO

19. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    sent my email hope they dont make it legal

20. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    i wont to thank everyone for there feedback and support of whats going on in texas. even though alot of the boc are not from texas ya'll have made great efforts in preventing this, i live here and theres only so much that us Texans can do but with the loud voice from all over the country from the BOC it just shows the unifiation from a large voice about our passion for the Catfish. Iwant to say thank you and God Bless