Emails in Support of 34" Law

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by price, Feb 13, 2007.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ShilohRed posted this on the thread previously, but you have to scroll several pages. I sent one to Bill Cox and the other email listed. He forwards this to the appropriate legislators. He encouraged me to get as many people as possible to email him with support of the law. The letter ShilohRed posted (sent by Phil King) is listed below. Please send one and tell someone else to send one. Just copy and paste the letter and then send to the emails below, and type in your name. Thanks.

PLease sign your name at the bottom and forward the letter to mabutler@tnwf.org and BCox1940@aol.com and they will deliver your emailed letter to the ledgislators in Nashville, TN.

February 8, 2007

Rep. Joe McCord
    4504 Montvale Road
    Maryville, TN 37803

Dear Rep McCord:

I’d like to offer my input about an on going effort to reverse Tennessee’s current maximum size limit regulation for catfish of 34 inches in House Bill 91 and Senate Bill 396.

Commercial fishermen seem to be arguing that they have a meat market for these bigger fish, but it is believed they are selling them to operators of “pay lakes” in Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Simply put, the fish of this size that they do sell are resources being taken from Tennessee sportsmen who buy licenses and sold to benefit sportsmen in other states!

Sport fishing for the larger, trophy catfish is a rapidly growing activity among sportsmen in states that have an abundance of them, and catfishing tournaments have become quite popular here adding important tourism dollars to our economy. Tennessee received national recognition in several major sporting magazines as the leader in this effort to protect the resource when our 34 - inch size restriction was enacted. These articles also spawned a lot of tourism dollars to our great state and now, other states near us, namely Arkansas, Virginia, Missouri South Carolina, Oklahoma and Kentucky either have passed or are considering similar legislation.

Lastly, it is my understanding that the effort to overturn the current restriction is being made by a very small minority of commercial fishermen in our state. I urge you to help all Tennessee sport fishermen by voting against reversing this very important catfish size protection.

Sincerely,

Attached is an add for pay lakes with fish weighing 102 pounds down. This will be where our fish go we have worked hard to protect the past few years with the 34' law in effect.

I hope this picture is ok. On here it shows what they are using.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...LakeOhio02.jpg

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Thanks I sure hope there is enough that sends it in. to over turn this before It goes any longer.
    Would be nice to see a few thousand sign in on it early.
    Pete

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I have and will be telling everyone I can.

4. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Sent mine and e-mailed a couple of TWRA middle-managers that I know to make sure the word is spread within the entire TWRA and maybe they can also assist us! I currently hold 99 Tennessee Angler Recognition Program certificates - the vast majority of them for blue catfish over 34" - and have released all but 1 (an IGFA world line class record). I cannot imagine killing or selling these wonderful giants for commercial purposes. I, as many of you do, spend amazing amounts of money chasing these big fish and the TWRA has valid reasons to set this limit to protect them. Everyone please take a few minutes of your time to help out. Thanks! Eric

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what kills me. TWRA does not wont' it changed. But the Government is over ruling them. And that is wrong.
    TWRA should have the say in it. And wish they did..
    Thanks guys . We may have to back a law to turn catfish into a sport fish next. That would stop the guys from trying to take the 34" length limit away. If they thought they would not get to keep any of them.

One big thing that gets me now, Is theres some that are still keeping each and every fish they catch.
    Pete

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you get the catfish classed to a sportfish it would be a big help. I can speak of Missouri as that is the state I know best. Our catfish are classed as sportfish and we have regulations and limits and a very progressive Fish and Game Dept. that want to make our catfish a long lived species. They use the channell cat as a meat and potato's fish and the flatheads and blues are a 5/10 limit . What that means is the flatheads and blues are gonna someday be regulated to a trophy class of fish I hope.The plans are in the works just have to get all the regs worked out.There was a lot of talks about what we catfisherman wanted and the trophy class was one of the things that really stood out as a need.The only place anyone can commercial fish for catfish in Missouri is the Mississippi river and there are regs on the books to address that.Last I heard there was a plan to adopt a 1 over 34 in rule on flatheads and I hope it extends to blues also. It takes a long time to grow these big fish and I hope this deal in Missouri passes.

7. dickieboy

dickieboy New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove, TN
    Emails sent. Hope it does some good.

8. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    im sending it right now myself...ill let as many ppl know about as i can to help you fella's out

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    signed sealed and delivered

10. hatchie rat

hatchie rat New Member

State:
    tn
    count me in this is a must law for tenn fishermen