Ellis Lock?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Leiter, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 14' ft. deep vee w/ 9.9 hp. Will this be enough to fish at Ellis dam and the surrounding dams? How deep is it at Ellis, How's the camping also?
    My Family's planning a two day fishing trip at either the end of May or mid to late June, what time would be the best? Sorry for all of the questions. Thanks to all in advance. Josh Leiter

2. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Not a bad little camp ground. There is about 5 or 6 lots right on the water, not sure maybe 30 lots total.You can buy firewood there, better to bring your own though. Bring a cast net , you can get bait right at the small lock. Has a small boat ramp down river side of the lock.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If the water isn't at flood stage, you'll be fine. I used to fish the entire length of the river in a 9' jon and a 5 1/2 evinrude. I even did that mid flood. I was a stupid kid.

4. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How is the Fishing at the camp grounds? Is there any place for a group of people to bankfish from? Were stayin two days and were hoping to relax on the bank for a little bit. When does the flathead fishing start to get good at Ellis. I was on the ODNR site and they said the fishing at the "y" bridge has a excellent out look, the same for Dillon tailwaters. Anyone have anymore info, It would be awesome to hear it. I need all the help i can get. Thanks for the info i have recieved, and for any i may get in the future. Leiter

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Camping is primitive, no on site electric or water. It's above the dam and lock and has plenty of room to bank fish with large campsites on the water. Good Carp fishing and I've heard of people catching some good size Channel Cats. There's a gas station and mini mart a couple miles down the road.
    The ODNR Always says the outlook is excellent. I know there has been a lot of big Flatheads caught in that area, just not by me.
    Also, I've been told that you are not allowed to fish inside the lock. Only dip nets are allowed. That's a shame becaus it's full of 8" to 12" carp, perfect bait. Why? I don't know, the lock isn't opperational.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If the river is at normal flow Ellis is a great scour hole to fish. It flucuates but 15 to 20 ft is the norm. Just depends on the rain the week before lol. Lots of flatheads and channels every year. I think I caught my first flatty there the end of April last year. The upstream side I don't fish much at all so someone else might know more. There is always people fishing up there. Everything that swims in the river can be found at the dam.

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Skip, Do you know of a website that would tell us what the river leval is?
    It takes me a couple hours to get there and I'm always surprised. One time its up and next time its down. I don't know what the normal leval is.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You can always call me. I live at the headwaters, 10-12 miles upstream of Ellis and as they say... What starts up, must come down. Phone #'s are on my web site.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Jammer this should work for you. Right now the levels are just about normal maybe just a little low compared to summer levels. Ellis doesn't have a gauge that I know of but it is in between Dresden and Zanesville.

http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/index.php?map_type=real&state=oh

10. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I did'nt know Ellis was that deep, gonna have to give it more attention this year.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jammer, try this http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/current/?type=flow
    Just scroll down to any gauge you want to use as a marker. I use the Y-Bridge reading to tell me if its allright to fish upstream in the riverside to Ellis pool. The gauge is below the Y Bridge dam but I know if it says 9 to 11 ft it'll be easy current upstream. If its over 13 feet you can't fish the Ellis tailwaters, and down by Riverside you have to hide behind the structure ( cause of all the logs and debris that are coming dowstream) So its a crap shoot to find fish and a good safe spot to anchor all night without looking over your shoulder every 2 minutes. I have on two occasions had trees, roots and all over 40 ft pass me while anchored down at riverside. The closest was only 40 ft away. You can't hear them coming. If you take a nap it might be the last. I don't even count the sticks and logs ( some longer than my boat). Farther downstream like MCconelsville I don't have the same expertise, so you have to pick a gauge , go to the river and see for yourself if thats safe. Then you can build up a database of sorts. Hope this helps.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jammer, the gauge at the Y bridge is 03148000. Muskingum river at zanesville.

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Jason and Skip. That's a great site for the whole state. I like the graph section so I can tell if the water level is dropping or raising.

14. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi