Ellis Lock Repair Not Likely

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Netmanjack, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As much as I would like to see it operational, it is not feesible. For the average pleasure boater, not speaking of canoe or yakers, it would take many different areas of dredging throughout the river between Dresden and Coshocton so it would be passable for all boats including pontoons during the low water season. Just this fall, south of town I saw a pontoon that was beached out in the middle of the river. So, my opinion is, to spend the money to fix one thing, it would take a bunch more to make sense. And, I strongly doubt if that many people would even use it on a daily basis. rollo

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Personally, I would like to see all the dams come out on the Muskingum and allow it to return to a more natural state. The dams are no longer used for transportation of goods but only by recreational boaters. Dams like the ones on the Muskingum do not allow fish to move freely. Blocking fish passage typically limits natural reproduction and genetic flow. They may make great site specific fishing opportunities but you have to look at the whole picture. If you create one great fishing opportunity (thats not natural) but you dam up 20 miles of lotic water and turn it into a slow moving sluggish reservoir what did you really achieve? These dams on the Muskingum are going to play a major role in determining how successful the blue cat introduction into Dillon turns out. Once fish leave the lake and enter the Muskingum River how likely are they to move upstream of Zanesville with dams blocking the way?