Elkhorn River.

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by catfish_jordan, Jan 17, 2007.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    has enybody fished the elkhorn river.if so what did you catch? the only thing i caught was a 2 pounder cat.

thanks

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    in my opinion it is the best river for flatheads. i live a few miles away from the elkhorn and fish it when i don't have time to take the boat out on the missouri. my question for you is do you fish public or private? what i did was take a tube from a few miles up and floated down and fished the spots that looked best for fish and had very good success. back to the public private thing if you fish public they get pressured hard cause they are so close to omaha. my advise would be to go to dead timber. limited amount of people their and the ones that are their fish the lake for bass. i have never seen anyone but me fish the river out their.

3. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    so thats where i was at! thanks i could not remember where i was when i fish that river.dead timber great spot to fish.so you say theres good flat head in there. well i would have to try sdome cut gils or shad. thanks :big_smile:

4. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    when i fish the elkohrn i usually use chicken or turkey liver ive caught alot of cats on that in there

5. pennforlife

pennforlife New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i have fishing the elkorn a couple of time it seems the best when u can get on a curve with some cover in the water really snaggy but good for flattys

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If you can flathead prefer live bait, try whole live sunfish,goldfish,shad, etc. you will have much better results, and more likely bigger fish with live baits. one othe rtechnique that works good is to take a 8/0 size hook and put a whole mess of nightcrawlers on it, like 10 to 12 big fat juicy crawlers, the flatheads can't resist a big ball of wiggly crawlers. and try fishing at night for the best luck from the bank, I have the best luck on flatheads from 2 am till sunrise this time of year.

7. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    Havent been on lately but ive been fishing the elkhorn the last couple of weeks. good results not great. every trip out i usually catch 3 or 4 channels ranging around 4 to 10 lbs and a whole mess of goldeyes and bullheads

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    there ya go catch a couple goldeyes and chop them in half, stick the head half on a hook and toss it out there, big kittys shouldn't be able to resist! a good foot long goldeye makes a great flathead bait and half of one that size will get the bigger channels excited.