Elkhorn River

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by riverfishing, Sep 14, 2006.

1. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey im new here and i was wondering if u know what works good on the elkhorn river for catfish. i have tried shad chicken liver and dip bait.... nothing seems to work... thanks for the help

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    get some wicked sicky stinkbait and find any hole over 2 feet deep, they'll be their. also are you fishing public or private? the public areas on the elkhorn get quite a bit of pressure.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC Ian! Its great to have another Nebraska native here at the website. As for the Elkhorn, I havent fished that river for many years. But Im sure someone here can help get you pointed in the right direction, like Zach, an others.

Your'e gonna love it here. Lots of good people, and great information.

Kenny

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

First let me welcome you to the BOC. The knowledge you will gain from here is endless.

Now myself, I've never fished the Elkhorn river, but hopefully JakeW can jump on this one. I know he has fished there many times.

Good luck.

SudDawg

5. JakeW

JakeW New Member

State:
    Fremont, NE
    hopefully suddawg didnt get anybodies hopes up!! i have fished the elkhorn about 5 or 6 times in the past 2 months. i go up between scribner and west point on the 275 i think it is. it is all public so who knows how it good it really is for fishing. i have had some luck, mostly on bluegills. i have used chicken liver, beef liver, nightcrawler, minnows, crawdads, live bluegills, dead bluegills, cut bluegills, i am about to cut my own fingers off and use them. i have had the most luck on bluegill, dead or alive, cut or whole, choose your poison, but thats your best bet for the elkhorn from my expeirence. but as suddawg can speak from expeirence on also, watch out for the gar. for some reason they are thicker than previous years that i remember, and they are not shy either. but good luck and let all of us know how it goes.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Well JakeW that's 5 or 6 times more then I've ever fished that river, so you're the subject matter expert in my books :big_smile:

As for the gar, I really really can't stand them. But catching one of them is better than getting completely skunked I guess, but not by much. I would however rather catch a gar, then a freakin turtle.

I HATE TURTLES!!! STOP TAKING MY SHAD!!!!!

:smile2:
    SudDawg

7. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks guys ill use that next time my brother in law owns a cabbin on the elkhorn and i go all the time.... i think im gonna get some shad and some blue gill use some live use for for cutbait and use some dead..... i tell you how it goes

8. riverfishing

riverfishing New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ok i just got back and i cought channel cats ranging from 4-10 pounds , i found a whole im 6 foot and i had to swim out. so i put a bluegill cut bait on mine and a live bluegill on my little daughters pole. she cought a 7 ponder ..... on the other i had some luck.....thanks guys im gonna go in a couple more days also