Elkhorn river, turtles!

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by holdemplyer, Jul 7, 2007.

1. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Hit the elkhorn river again, been doing so regularly on friday nights, buddy has land on both sides by the Q st bridge by two rivers. Only fish bites we had were gar, could see them when the came to the surface and thrashed around then spit out the hook, the only thing we landed was a soft shell turtle, and a painted turtle. It's been this way for the last week! Are channel cats starting to spawn???? and since the area we fish has a log in the water right in front of where a small stream is, could the turtles be in the area trying to get a free meal of catfish eggs?

anyway, hope y'all are having better luck than me. I havn't caught a decent cat in 3 weeks.

2. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    channel cats spawn late may to early june, they are all done. flats and blues are spawning right now and should be getting in their post spawn feeding frenzy any day now. you need to fish the deep in the elkhorn and platte right now. when i used to fish the platte consistently i'd go by a rule and that was, wade around till you find water that goes past your knees. throw your bait in if you dont get a bite in literally twenty seconds their are no fish holding their. this time of year it should be nothing to pull in 50 to 60 small channels and flatheads from the platte or elkhorn river in three to four hours, no joke. i'll even give up a honey hole. head to the platte river access just north of the platte river state park their is a highway and you can pull off the shoulder and walk down to the river. wade about a half mile upstream, their will be a short distinct bend that cuts right into the bank on the highway side (note you wont be able to see the highway) here their is a undercut bank, with three big tree root wads standing timber and downed timber along with a riffle and a large hole, about five feet at the deepest point. take cut bait and live bait you can catch flathead and channels all day long. alot of ten to fifteen pounders.

3. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska