Elkhorn River (near Norfolk)

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by WaltonsMountain, Sep 10, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was trying to find a decent area to fish the Elkhorn (while in Norfolk) but everywhere we looked it was incredibly shallow. We ended up having to go to the city lake in Norfolk (Skyview lake) with little success. Does anyone know any good areas that would be deep enough for catfishing on the Elkhorn? Preferrably near Norfolk since the old lady's family is from there and i'll be out there quite often. If not, maybe other good catfishing spots in the general Norfolk area?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Although I don't know the Elkhorn river at all I do fish a couple rivers around here that you can wade across and not get your knees wet,in fact have fished them from a four wheeler driving up and down the river! It's all about finding the holes and any brushpiles (which are usuallly washed out underneath). Also you will be surprised by the fish that live in those shallow rivers,many fish around the 25 lb mark,flats and channels. I fish them by drifting the bait into anywhere that looks "fishy" during the day,and find a nice sandbar with a decent stretch of water downstream to set up for nightfishing when those fish come out into the shallows to feed.

3. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    First they just dug out skyview and taha so wont be much for sizeable fish. There are two decent places to go within ten min from town both are the elkhorn river. On the river head out to broken bridge and park at the gravel lot and walk west down the cowboy trail to the train brigde. When you get there look on the northwest side of the bridge there is a deep hole there. Also try out on channel road by the old rendering plant. Where the north fork of the elkhorn dumps into the elkhorn is a good spot. The farmer has never given any of us any grief about driving down there. The far bank has old junk cars with a wicked hole underneith of them. Sand toads have worked well for us in the past.

4. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    Yeah i live in norfolk i try to look for good places on the elkhorn to fish sometimes i find a little hole while im searching but nothing worth going back to except, one spot but it had no trespassing but i went on anyway the person had setlines and i had caught 3 smaller channels and then i had one bite but i dont know who's land it is and i dont want to get shot:sad2:

5. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    The place by the old rendering plant you said that the farmer there doesnt care if you are there. Also the place im worried about is on the west side of channel road next to the elkhorn bridge, there is a no trespassing sign and i went in to be curious and it was great spot have you seen this

6. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Go east from channel road.... to the intersection of the Northfork of the Elkhorn and the Elkhorn River.... I dont know anything about the west side of that area. Anywhere along the river is a touchy place to walk w/o permission.... however to the east of the bridge is ok and always has been for the last ten years. Be ever so careful to heed warnings as some land owners there do tote around firearms. Permission Permission Permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!