Elkhorn River 2016

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by Mkazlen1989, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    Floated down in my canoe for a few miles yesterday. Me and a friend went out and it was kinda a last minute thing so we bought some worthless chubs from scheels for bait. They were dead fast even with my aerator. Fished a few logjams without any luck. Tried fishing under a train bridge but we the anchor rope was tangled up and we couildn't drop it in time. The water got fast around the bridge pilings then calmed down. Lots of slack later on the east side bank and a good amount of tree brush. I'm gonna fish the hell out of this spot tomorrow. If anyone wants to fish tomorrow that isn't a psycho, hit me up!

2. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    That's weird your chubs died, I went out 2 weeks ago and my buddy stopped and got chubs at scheels and the same story with ours. We took his mud motor Jon out and fished a creek and he caught a 10lb flathead, not much action after that on our dead bait..

3. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    They're super delicate. I gotta get out there with a bucket of bullheads and soon! Where about did y'all fish? That train bridge spot seems amazing!

4. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Gotta keep them cold ice the water also put something in the water to kill the chlorine like finer shiner

The River Rat likes this.
  5. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    We were north of the train bridge at the mouth of rawhide creek. The current in the channel was fast, I bet it was going at least 4MPH, Looked like a mini Missouri river. Glad we had the mud motor though, we had to go through some pretty skinny water to make it up there.

6. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    True! Bullheads and cut carp every time now! I need to get my hands on some asian carp.

7. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    We were under the bridge thats just a little south of the maple street crossing. It got real tough and fast around the bridge pilings and the channel. Looks like flathead city. I want one of those mud motors so bad!

8. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    Yea I remember going by there, it looks like there could definitely be some fish hanging out!

9. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    Hit me up if you ever wanna go. I'm not a pervert. I've fished with a few dudes off of here.

10. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    LOL best response, made me chuckle. I don't really get out that way too much. Its hard to pass up the Missouri since its so close!

11. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    When I lived in Omaha me and a buddy would get chubs from bass pro or cabelas. You had to ask since they had them for feed the fish in the tanks. I've kept them alive in a igloo cube cooler for a few weeks with nothing but a bubbler. Did a 50% water swap every 3-4 days. I did use something to get rid of the chlorine. Can't remember the name though.

12. Mkazlen1989

Mkazlen1989 New Member

State:
    Omaha
    Looking to go on an elkhorn/platte river cruise with my canoe. Possibly a salt creek adventure too. Just got a 50lb thrust trolling motor and the canoe moves pretty damn good. Looking for someone that knows how to fish the elkhorn and platte go. None of my friends wanna go fishing because they'd rather stay inside and play video games. Hit me up if any of you wanna go!

Andrew Milan likes this.
  13. trimmaster

trimmaster New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    Name:
    put first name
    You all can fish the creeks north of Bennington from the gravel road bridges and catch chubbs all day long

Andrew Milan likes this.
  14. NECoyoteHunter

NECoyoteHunter Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Chris
    trimmaster - how do you go about catching your chubs in the creek?

15. trimmaster

trimmaster New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    Name:
    put first name
    Split shot little bobber or on the bottom.. Night crawler as bait... The nice thing is that you can fish during the day or at night for them....

NECoyoteHunter likes this.
  16. trimmaster

trimmaster New Member

State:
    NEBRASKA
    Name:
    put first name
    There tricky to keep Alive.. Got to keep the water ice cold

17. NECoyoteHunter

NECoyoteHunter Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Chris
    Which is interesting because the creek certainly is not ice cold.

18. The River Rat

The River Rat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Come on duder. Get off the elkhorn. I bought a new (to me) boat so we'll have to make good on that offer to take on the MO. Something better than Holmes anyway.

19. The River Rat

The River Rat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ahh dangit, you said no psychos, I missed that.

20. Andrew Milan

Andrew Milan New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Andrew Milan
    There’s a really good hole under that train bridge. Depth finder was saying 26ft last week. My buddy and I have been fishing it a lot recently he pulled a 42lb blue outa there using cut shad back at the beginning of August that nearly tipped the boat over lol