Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Elk Poacher Fined $35,000 in Wyoming

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  festus 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Wasn't worth the price though. Lost his hunting rights for 5 years and his right to own firearms for life. He got what he deserved.
Seems a little over the top with the loss of voting rights and right to own firearms for life!! The loss of hunting rights for five years and the 35k fine is plenty enough ,if not a little overkill.
If a man was one squirrel over the limit, should he receive the same punishment??

#6 ·
He should have just settled for a cow. This proves he is/was a "trophy" hunter. Only after a mount he can brag to his buddies about. what a waste of meat. got what he deserved IMO. But where the articular is wrong, a felon does not lose voting rights for life. the firearm rights vary from state to state.

#7 ·
Seems a little over the top with the loss of voting rights and right to own firearms for life!! The loss of hunting rights for five years and the 35k fine is plenty enough ,if not a little overkill.
If a man was one squirrel over the limit, should he receive the same punishment??
The regulations are in place just like our creel and size limits fishing. They are numbers that the state's conservation agencies came up to better keep track of and control the population of the animals in question. I believe they set such a high penalty on this gentleman as more a warning to others to not follow the gentleman's footsteps and remind them that his action are indeed punishable.

#8 ·
I can agree with that.
A crack head that steals your stuff and crosses state lines gets turned back out to feed on the public.

#9 ·
The regulations are in place just like our creel and size limits fishing. They are numbers that the state's conservation agencies came up to better keep track of and control the population of the animals in question. I believe they set such a high penalty on this gentleman as more a warning to others to not follow the gentleman's footsteps and remind them that his action are indeed punishable.
I love hunting and fishing just as much as the next guy ,but like mark stated there are a lot of harsh crimes committed towards humans that are in no way punished to the extremity that this guy was! And as far as the creel limit , if you were one catfish over the limit should you be punished the same?? Breaking a law is breaking the law in my book

#10 ·
And we execute people for capital murder and others still follow the same path.

#11 ·
Man kills an illegal elk- prosecuted as a felony
Child molestor /murderers- prosecuted as a felony
These two crimes are in no way morally similar and takes two different types of people to commit. Yet they group them together and the only difference is the severity of the punishment. Just think they went to far with this guy. I would hate to see anyone hit with that kind of punishment for poaching. I know its wrong and people should be smarter but I really don't think that guy knew it would come.down that hard ... I would definitely say that he learned his lesson.

#13 ·
Tenn. Wldlf Res Agency restocked elk here about 10 years ago. Some fool got a draw to hunt whitetail on some government land. Apparently he didn't know it was an elk, turned it in at the check point, got fined big time but I don't think it was nearly that much. Now they're getting reestablished, they're gradually opening a few limited elk hunts. There have been a few found around here and there shot by farmers probably and dumped elsewhere. Figured they had been destroying their gardens.

#15 ·
That was in oak ridge wasn't it festus
Yep, seems like it was an older feller. I don't know if I'd want to be eating anything in that area, you know they have to check the deer with a Geiger Counter you know. I found part of the article. I live in Morgan County, that's where they found one of those. TWRA is very lax on this compared to the other case in Wyoming.

The charge of killing a wild elk is a Class A misdemeanor and carries a maximum sentence of 11 months and 29 days in jail, fine of $2,500 and restitution of no less than $1,000 to the state for the loss of the animal. After a court appearance, the man was charged $1,000 in restitution for the elk, $140 in fines, $100 in court costs and the loss of his hunting license for one year.

Not long after that incident, a farmer not too far from the Royal Blue WMA destroyed another bull elk that had been chasing his cattle and tearing down fences for some time before the TWRA arrived on the scene. It is legal for someone to kill an elk acting in such a manner in the state of Tennessee. This statute was passed for such instances before elk were ever restored here.

Now, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) says rewards are being offered for information about three animals from Tennessee's new elk herd which have been found dead, after being shot by poachers. The illegal kills came within a three-week period in November.

Two bull elk, the largest being a 5x5 and weighing almost 800 pounds, have been found dead within a mile of the release site on Royal Blue Wildlife Management Area. The third elk was a cow that was found dead in Morgan County. Each of these elk had been shot and left intact. All three were taken to the University of Tennessee for necropsy.

The first elk was located by a mortality signal given off by the animal's transmitter, after researchers, tracking the elk by airplane, picked up the mortality signal. After recording a general location, the animal was found on Nov. 14, by tracking with a handheld receiver. This animal, a 4x4 bull, was found less than a mile southeast of the original release site.

The second elk found was a cow located in Morgan County. This animal was also located by a mortality signal. This elk was located just before Thanksgiving by a University of Tennessee graduate student conducting research on the elk herd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.