Elk Dream Hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Snagged2, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, Sitting here wishing I was fishin'' ,,,,,,maybe after Christmas,,,

But, Thought I'd throw this out there,.....

Just for fun,,,

What would your ideas or thoughts be for an Elk Hunt..
    Like to hear about weapon choice, locations, situations,, What Ya Say????

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Some years ago the state started a Elk restoration project in Ky. Last I heard the herd is up to about 6000 strong and doing well. I would love to get to take my Model 7 Remington 308 Win. after an elk in the forest that I know and am familiar with. Being in the restoration area of the state this might just happen. They are already having draw hunts for them in the area but there just isn't any very close to home yet.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fact is we have way more elk than deer thanks to the mountain lions.I havn't hunted elk in over 20 yrs. I wouldnt mind trying for a cow tag here in my home state of New Mexico sometime in the near future. The out of staters left a bad taste in my craw a long time ago for elk hunting here. I'd take my sons 7mm08 for a rifle,Tho I wouldnt have ANY qualms on using my 243 ,Yes its legal here .

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    While living in colo for 20 years I eat mostly deer and elk. I would get a cow tag and let the young ones in the group hunt bulls.Here in Kansas I can get a land owner elk permit, but the elk only get with in a mile of our land.One of my hunting Buddy's in colo shoots a 243 and has no problem getting his elk.He picks his shots so he does not have to track one far.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Richard, just wondering but, what do the Non Res do?

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jess,Years ago Folks from TX used to hunt here alot,I just have a hard time accepting then having the money to hunt here and keep thier hunting private there. A few would really swagger around like they owned the land they hunted,ran some off of my own land too.. I never have been able to get over it ,Just me I guess.Most out of staters are good enough guys I guess,And our game laws are much stricter now reguarding tresspass laws.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I hunted the San Juan national forest west of pogosa spr. colorado a few years ago. Stayed there 10 days and never seen anyone besides the guys i was with. Bout a 6 hr. ride on a horse to get to where i was camped. Would love to go back to the bench i was on and kill another one.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I was just wondering. It is a shame that people think just because they have money they can do what ever they want:confused2: My Dad has hunted elk in New Mexico 3 times in the last 15 years, and he treated it like what it was... a privilege. I bet you could ask anyone on this board, from any state and you'd get the same story. People coming in to your back yard and treating everyone like they were kings. It is truly a shame. I have read that most hunting and fishing guides would rather have a client that had worked two jobs for two years to pay for a guided hunt, than someone that had the money. The guy that had to work for the tag and knew what that tag ment would hunt harder, help with camp chores and help with with the skinning. And on top of that would tip more. I guess what I am getting at is, going into some one's "world" and hunting the land that they own or live around should be held at the highest regard. Richard, I am sorry that people have soured your regard for people hunting the land that you hold dear. It is a shame that the pitiful few have to ruin it for the many.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hear ya Jess. I know there Are Many folks as You describe. I have Resolved Myself To Never travel to Hunt other States { Not that I would ever afford it on my crappy pay]:big_smile:But I Figure If I stay Home I'm sorta proving My point If You Cant Hunt at home Dont Hunt.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I hear Ya, but Missouri does not have elk. That is a dream of mine so I will have to go somewhere else. But, not to worry cause I can't afford New Mexico, Arizona, or pretty much anywhere but Colorado:big_smile:

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I hear ya Richard. I usually stick to home to hunt too. Hunting is a privilage and it shouldn't be something we take for granted. Money or not. Yes! I've been a couple of bear hunts. Damn expensive too, ( $4000 a trip, total costs), but I saved my money and went on the hunts. I will continue to quest for other animals, because it's my dream to do so, but I'm not going overboard on the subject. I'm not one of those big game millionaires that can afford an African experience and shoot 30 animals for $200,000.:confused2:

Yes. Elk would be an awesome hunt. Possible a DIY (do it yourself) hunt in Wyoming or Colorado. Maybe someday!:big_smile:

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Theres Plenty of State Land For Elk Hunting here,Only problem Is learning the areas,I hunted an Area near Taos seven years straight,Lucky me to draw like that. But never got a shot. and six years of that was spent learning the area more than hunting elk. IHave a dream to hunt all the species that my state offers ,but that is only a dream,I know it will never come to pass Any hoo,Hope You Get a huge bull ,Fellas .:big_smile: One other thing,Alot of Outfitters are charging exorbant fees to guide on FEDERAL LAND. That sticks in my craw a bit too.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My bear guide in Canada knew about my situation of money and my job. He understood myself loud and clear and the guide busted his butt to help get my bears. I helped with the camp chores of gathering fire wood and stating the water pump every morning for the shower shed. I loved it!

I guess it's like if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I figure, if the guide is doing his or her job to your expectations, why not give them a favor and help them too, by helping them with the camp chores. Instead of being lazy and just waiting for your hunt. Heck, I love getting involved doing stuff to help. And I always gave them a tip at the end, regardless I got the animal or not. Luckily I scored 2 great bears on my 2 hunts. My tips was a fillet knife and a small money tip that I could afford. They were grateful and I'm invited to hunt with them again when I can save the money to do so. Possibly looking at 2010 to head to Canada again to possibly score on a blond Bear. That's my dream. Trophy for me and I love the meat too. Not just for the head and skins!!:big_smile:

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    My First Elk hunt was in 1976,, I was in the Marine Corps, working as a Marksmanship Instructor. In one of my classes, I was acquainted with and became friends with a guy from Oregon.. He and his family did an annual Elk hunt, and He invited me and My wife on that years hunt..
    We drove from Southern California up to Brookings OR, and got loaded up to drive over to the Imnaha,(sp) near the Snake river Country ,,I'd never been to OR before and as we went from the southwestern corner , to basically the northeast corner, we got to see a lot of the state, I fell in love with all of it, was just great..
    Anyhow, we got into the area of the hunt, and set up a great camp,, My buddies dad had made a big 2 room tent, he allowed my wife and I to have the sleeping part of it, and the front half was a big kitchen,, his Dad knew his way around that area I'll tell you. It was real cozy, and couldn''t have been better..
    There were about 4 other local folks that were on the hunt, and about 3 horses,, My wife really enjoyed being around those,, The most I used them was hanging onto part of a saddle one day, and kinda gettin' towed up some hills, when my buddies Dad came riding in from his morning hunt..one afternoon..
    We ended up hunting for 19 days, and walked our legs off, the country was spectacular, and it snowed, rained, sleeted, the wind blew,, all kinds of awesome weather, and at the end of the hunt I felt like I owned the place,,,
    no one killed an elk,, But, I was spoiled, to this day on the great experience of that time..And, I've Never stopped looking for Elk.
    I didn't get to hunt Elk this year,
    My Buddy and his Dad are both dead now,, So, I went hunting with them this year,, by revisiiting the memories of that Great Experience