Elk City Reservoir

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by justaddmidget, Apr 14, 2007.

1. justaddmidget

justaddmidget New Member

State:
    alhambra, il
    Any one who knows this lake can help me. I want general info on regulations, laws, areas, legal bait, legal methods. Anything!! I wanna vacation that leaves me smellin so bad on the ride home I won't be able to sit in the seat with myself. You fellow catfishermen know what I mean.

2. justaddmidget

justaddmidget New Member

State:
    alhambra, il
    Quick on the draw,,, I posted,, I checked,,, and there was already a reply.. WOW Thanks I,m checkinout now.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

no problem .i hope it helps

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Elk City Reservoir is a good place to fish. My own opinion is that since you're in the area anyhow...there's another reservoir called Big Hill in Labette county...near Parsons that is better. (Again this is my own opinion)

I have been a local in Sek all my life...and have fished every local river and lake in our area since I was 6 years old with grandpa and my dad...to fishing alone since I was 14...to now being 38 years old fishing with my wife and kids....and a select few fishing buddies.

Big Hill is loaded with big channel cats as well as flathead...and is very well managed. There was a mention in the destinations article in In-Fishermans Catfish Insider a few years ago about it being a prime channel cat destination...and rightfully so.

Also there's another reservoir called Bonecreek...located north of Pittsburg Kansas that's definately every bit as good as Big Hill...if not better for...channel cats and walleye.

There's also a bunch of strip pits in Cherokee county that are dynamite for channel, flathead (In the right spots), crappie, and walleye.

Worth a mention is that the state record channel...36.5 lb...came from a strip pit that has been stocked with rainbow trout. (Caught on cut trout...if that tells you anything)

The confusing thing about this pit...which is 100 acres plus...is that even after the record channel was caught...hardly NOBODY fishes this pit for catfish.

Instead you'll see upwards of 95% of the people fishing are from the bank for trout. The other 4% are fishing for big largemouth bass. Another 1/2% are after big bluegill...the rest might be after catfish...and most of those simply have a cat rod casted out for while they primarily fish for trout.

There are over 400 pits out there.of various sizes...primitive camping is allowed anywhere...they're all loaded with big channel, bass, crappie, and bluegill...some have walleye...and one has the trout.

If a guy wants to get away from it all...the pits are the place to go.

I realize you wanted info on Elk City...but I'm just saying you'd probably get better action at the other two reservoirs or the pits.

Again...this is my own take....but the results speak for themselves when I make my comparison.

Perhaps if you still go to ECR...then sometime in the future on another trip...you could give the others a try.

I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Also if you decide to come this way...shoot me a PM...and I'll hook you up with a good location...and even guide you for free if you wish.

I'll probably be fishing anyhow...usually alone...I could use the company.

Brian

5. justaddmidget

justaddmidget New Member

State:
    alhambra, il
    Thanks catcaller,
    I will look those lakes up. Not sure if I'll have wife and kids in tow or not. Actually I'm trying to talk them out of if, they seem to slow me down!! Definitly getting too old and lazy for the primitive camping thing, I'd love to but a hot shower and a warm soft bed feels so good.

Thanks again I'll look you up. Right now I'm gathering info and you've givin me some good options.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Never been there,but I think Elk City is where the state record flathead came from.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    CatCaller good to see you back posting!!

JustAddMidget............Take the advice Caller gave you!! I to live in the area and have fished both. ECR if you go fish the outlet, there is a cat walk there you can fish off of. I have never fish the lake just the outlet. But if the fish are biting you will have to wait in line to get on. The city of Independence is close by ECR, try the city dam if water is coming over. Good for Flathead & Cahnnel.

Big Hill........I catch flathead in my bass tournaments on this lake. All around very good lake.

Neosho river .............Another good place to try.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Absolutely....the Chetopa, Ks low water dam is awesome from March to July for Spoonbill, White Bass, Wipers, Crappie, Channel Cat, Flathead, and Blue Cats.

As long as there's enough water....the fish will hang around as long as the HUGE schools of Gizzard Shad are still there, and there's enough water to allow them to do so....even after they've already spawned.

As soon as the traditional water level drop during the summer months
    initiates...the Shad boogie on back to Grand Lake....with nearly everything else in tow.

However....when the blue cats are there...the series of riffles that lies below the low water dam is heaven on earth.

Too bad it doesn't last.

Or...perhaps it is a good thing that it doesn't....or else I'd be most likely unemployed, divorced, and sun burnt.

Too bad it doesn't last.