Elk City Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishcentral, Jan 29, 2010.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Does anyone ever fish this lake? I banked fished it a few years ago but never taken the boat up there. I was wandering how far up the lake you can get up the river on the Verdigris. It's only 45 minutes from my house and been thinking about a flathead trip this spring. I also wondered if there was a ramp below the lake....I doubt it but looking for any info on Elk City.

Thanks

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I have never fished it but all bet someone one here has uncle buncel were are you ( he lives down there
    the world record flathead came out of that lake

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Thanks Kyle

Looks like those ramps might be up the river enough to gain decent access. There just like the lakes in Oklahoma....all that silt gets stuck at the mouth of the lake. There's not enough force to keep pushing it downstream. Hulah lake is old... impounded in 1951 you can walk across the lake on the North end at normal levels.:laugh1:

5. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Theres lots of good fishing up the river but I've only fished it from the bank.1 boat ramp on lake at state park

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    The river downstream is all private and in last few years they really shut it down.I used to fish down river but its all posted heavy now.

7. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Lee,

Do you know how much of the river is navigable by boat at the ramp? Looking to mainly fish the river above the lake and didn't know if I can go only a half a mile or10 miles on the river.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Cant give you an exact figure but you should be able to go several miles especially when rivers up.

10. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    I haven't been up that far but at normal pool you should be able to get a little ways past Highway 160 before coming to a shallow riffles. I have heard that another ramp has been added on the Elk River above the riffles on the north side of the road running west out of the town of Elk City on Hickory St. I don't know how far from that ramp one can continue up the river. This is second or third hand info and I can't see the ramp on the Yahoo Maps.

11. catfisherman04

catfisherman04 Well-Known Member

State:
    Derby Ks
    I have fished there only once, the water was pretty low my dad and i went out on a sand bar at night and caught several channel in just an hour or two on dip bait i couldnt tell you what month it was but it was some good fishin !