Eliminating a few Groundhogs

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by mcwrestler, Sep 24, 2006.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A woman I work with and her husband have a problem with some groundhogs. Thes (supposedly 2 or 3 of them) have torn up the yard around a shed, eaten grapes, and done lawn damage. Thats not a big deal to them, thing is they have a beagle that wants to confront these rather larger groundhogs on their own terms under the shed, and I told them that would be bad for their dog, as did the vet. They said one groundhog appears bigger than their 10lb beagle by a decent bit. I am going this week to try and kill a few, thing is, they are located between a horse field full of horses and the other side 20 yards of woods near a golf course. I have a scope mounted .22 marlin and a non scoped one, plus 2 pump shotguns, 12 Gauge. I can get within 30 yards very easily, just wondering if the .22 would be enough to stop a larger groundhog, or would I have to go with a shotgun.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    We used to use a 22 with hollow points when I was a kid. Try to hit them in the head if possible. Good luck on your hunt.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I take all sorts of small game with my 11 yr old son 22 Marlin semi auto with a scope..matter fact just yesterday I popped a large coon on our front porch eating the cats food and keeping them from it ..they wont survive a head shot from a 22...plus you really dont want to pop a goundhog with a 12 gauge near any buildings from 30 yards do ya ?

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    a .22 has more than enough power to kill a ground hog at 30 yards. chest shots will kill them immediately, head shots arent required. even a high power air rifle will do if you hit them in the head. its allabout shot placement. good luck

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    These guys are right on the money! Go have you some fun killing those vermon. :lol:

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    good luck man, go kill some hogs.lol

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yes a 22 will work fine if your a good shot hit the nose if not , behind the ear . try not to gut shoot them and youl have some good eating , when i was young we killed and ate close 30 every year the were good bar-b-qued or fried or even boiled with taters and carrots , taste bout the same as a rabbit or squeril . there all vegetarians just the same .

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Sounds like they need them a a good Jack Russell Terrier. They are bred for ground work, I own 3 J R and a German Hunting Terrier a groundhog can't stand up to these Terriers.

:look_down:

:cat:

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i hate to see an animal killed just for the sake of killing it , if you kill it eat it or give it to some one who will , wantin waiste is against the law here in ky.