Elevated Box Blind

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Someoneelse, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Afternoon all,

I am looking to build an elevated box blind, however I am a very big man (6-07 300lbs) I prefer to bow hunt so a 4'xwhatever just wont work for me. When i am at full draw i would be touching both sides of the blind :) My wife and kids also like to go with me as they hunt also.

I am looking for some plans for a 6x8 preferably i know that is huge BUT when its me the wife and a kid then well you need the room or the big kid gets cranky!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Jason

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Jason the reason most box blinds are 4x4 is you can make them out
    of plywood and you don't have any seams for water to get in and
    destroy your wood. You will have to calk your seams real well and
    paint several times to preserve your wood. I would use 2x4s for the
    bottom on 16" centers and a 3/4" plywood floor. For the sides I would
    frame with 2x2s and use 1/4" plywood for the lighter weight. Use 4x4
    legs and taper them pyramid style to keep the wind from blowing them
    over. On a 4x4 blind we taper the legs to 8x8. The problem with big blinds
    is standing them up. You have a lot of weight. Once you get started you
    will adapt the blind to your needs. I make my windows as small as
    possible and I don't use a rear window because deer can see your
    silhouete blocking the light. Good Luck maybe you can use some of this
    to adapt your blind.

3. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Mines about 6x6x15.I made it with old decks that i had ripped up(free). Doubled up 2x6's for the post,braced diaganoinal all sides,sittin on soild cinder blocks(If i was you i'd use telephone poles) 2x4 deck frame 12in on center,bunch a headers,alot a joist hangers and glue. Decking for the floor,corner post and rafters,1/4in.ply. half walls and roof ,camo burlap curtains. All pressure treated and stained. If you use nails make sure you use glue or screws cause they WILL squeak. Watch your thumb and good luck

4. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the input gents. It is appreciated. I am working on a plan now. will post more later. May have to wait untill next season to build, wife just lost her job :(

5. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well i have a rough idea of how i want it to look. please note that I have not figured in the stability of support legs, they are just there for looks as of now. I figure i would cement them in as i doubt i will move the blind off of the meadow.

thoughts on the long vertical slot???? thought it may make it easier for a bow shot if they are close and below me???

Mike,

I may have to yell at you come deer season as I may still be up here working :) I am just south Washington PA in WV for work.
    Regards,
    Jason

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother and I have made dozens of the big wooden elevated stands. We started with 4'x4' then went to 6'x4' so they are more buddy friendly. Our only change from your design which is excellent is we now do steps going up. It makes it more expensive but we aren't getting any younger and I don't know how much ladder climbing I will be doing in my 70 and 80's.

7. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    NICE drawings, a man of your size might need a door thou hahaa. You might wanta pitch your roof, a couple inches will do. I also forgot about the steps,mine are made of 2x6, 2x4 blocks under each, on each side. The steps start about 4 feet out from the base, makes it alot easy getting up with one hand. It looks like your missing the cripples in your header also. What program are you useing for the drawings,i like i like, i normaly use napkins and sandwich wrapers hhaaha

8. Someoneelse

Someoneelse New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used 3D Studio Max from Autodesk. You can download a free 30 day trial from there website. (it is NOT user friendly unless you have modeling experience) Personally I suck at it :) The roof only has a 2degree pitch in the pictures. and there is a trap door above the ladder 2'x3' its in the corner. Thanks for all the input guys. I do appreciate it. I wasnt kidding about being up here for deer season if i cant get home to hunt im looking you up! :)

Jason

9. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    Hell ya

10. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    im actually building a 6x8 this weekend!! im only 6'2 180 but i like having the extra room. the way i see huntin, the longer your in the woods the more chance you have of seeing the nice buck so im all for takin naps lol.
    what im doin is building mine in a tree. im goin about 12 feet up. im runnin 2 2x12x8 parrallel across a tree with a v and mounting 2x6x6 across the top for my floor supports. then building up for the walls. good luck with yours post some pics i want to see what it looks like.