Elephants Never Forget

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KnotGillty, Feb 1, 2007.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    In 1986, Makele Mabembe was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University. On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant standing with one leg raised in the air. The elephant seemed distressed, so Makele approached it very slowly and carefully.

The elephant let him approach so he got down on one knee and inspected the elephant's foot, and found a large piece of wood deeply embedded in it. As carefully and as gently as he could, Makele worked the wood out with his hunting knife, after which time the elephant gingerly put down its foot.

The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on its face, stared at him for several long tense moments. Makele stood frozen, looking directly into the elephants large eye, thinking of nothing else but being trampled. Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, touched Makele's face with it's trunk, turned, and walked away. Makele never forgot that elephant or the events of that special day.

* Twenty years later, Makele was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his teenaged son. As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned and walked over to near where Makele and his son were standing. The large bull elephant stared at Makele, lifted its front foot off the ground, then put it down. The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the while staring at the man.

Remembering the encounter in 1986, Makele couldn't help wondering if this was the same elephant. Makele summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing and made his way into the enclosure. He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder. The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Makele's legs and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.

* Probably wasn't the same elephant.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man I swallowed that one hook line and sinker. I thought it was gonna be endin different. Thanks for postin!:big_smile:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy thanks for that post. It teaches one to not flirt with death. It could be one flirt to many.:cool2:

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    THAT'S A GOOD ONE RANDY, THANKS FOR SHARING.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    sucked me in like a black hole then out of no where someone hit me with a baseball bat. lol Thanks for the beating! lol

6. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks man. That was a killer. still lmao

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Yeah, I got sucked into this feel good story and surprise ending!:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :lol:

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ya need to sell that one to Disney....help the little kid-os get ready for real life. Ya pulled my lip pretty hard setting the hook.
    :lol:

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

My exact thoughts Gary it would make a real good sequel to bambi we could call it dumbo

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep it was a captivating story and i bought into it all the way through , :lol: