elephant ears

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by shaddaddi, Dec 2, 2006.

1. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    Does anyone else enjoy these amazing plants? I live in VA and leave mine in ground year round. The best thing for protecting from the winter for me is a big wad of grass clippings on top after I cut them back. One of my 3 yr. old plants blossomed this year but my oldest and biggest never have!!!

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Next year order Colocasia gigantea, "Thailand Giant", it is a MONSTER.
    Plant Delights Nursery has them on the web site.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sure do. i have fish ponds in the back. they look very tropical with a bannanna tree and some cannas. my back yard looks like arnold swartzenn something or another may come running out being chased by the predator.:roll_eyes:

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've got some beside my house that the people that lived here before planted. I don't know what kind they are but they die in the winter and I cut them down. But in the middle of the summer they get around 8 feet tall. All the kids come to steal the leaves. The things are massive and the truncks are huge. Thought about digging them up and moving them. Can you do this? They grow against the house and block my view of the AC unit when backing my camper up. Almost hit it last time. So if anyone knows if they can be moved let me know. Thanks

Matt

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have some and don't do anything to them and they grow back every year.
    Also have some bamboo and have tried to get rid of it but can't.
    Anybody got any sugesstions other than digging it up?