Electronic muzzle loader?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Big B, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was just reading an article in Petersons hunting. CVA is making a 50 cal. muzzle loader that has an electronic ignition. Its called the CVA Electra ARC. The entire inside of the receiver is a computer chip. It runs on a 9 volt lithium battery (same as a camera). It has to charge for 20 seconds before you can shoot it. The ignition time is supposed to be faster than a centerfire. And shoot as accurate even over long distances. Ed Shilen helped develop the barrel. It has no bolt and no hammer. What do you all think about an electric rifle? I have always had problems with electronics.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It turns my stomach. Whatever happened to "primitive firearms"?

3. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Doesn't sound very safe to me. If something went wrong that gun could go off at anytime with out warning. We'll just have to see with time how well it holds up in the field. In the mean time, I'll stick with primers.

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    So yer smoke pole malfunctions and ya need the Geek Squad?
    Just shoot me. No, here, give it to me I'll shoot myself......just got to wait for the "ready" light to come on. Better yet, give it to me and I'll shoot the engineer that designed the POS! We used to call people like that "clueless".

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've seen these guns. Looks good in theory. It is a very novel idea if you ask me. May even improve accuracy. I dont remember what they call it, but when the primer lights off, it supposedly causes your powder charge/bullet to move down the barrel a small fraction of an inch. this can mess with accuracy. With the electronics, there wouldn't be this problem because you're using an electrical spark to ignight the powder (please nobody rip me a new one for this, it isn't my theory, its just what i've read). Now for the question, "Would I own one?" Probly not. I just dont trust electronics that much. I usually like to keep things simple. I miss carbeurated (sp.) vehicles for their simplicity. I imagine they have been tested extensively, but nothing electronic is foolproof. There are no primers to drop/lose, which will make loading a little quicker, this might be good for arthritic hands maybe? Another question that arises in my mind, we are allowed to carry our muzzleloaders loaded as long as there is no primer in them....with the electronic ignition, as long as you have the batteries in, isn't kinda like having a primed gun? Wonder what DNR would say about that?

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The idea is to get away from all this new fangdled junk and hunt like they did in the old days.The SS inline muzzle loaders were bad enough and now here the go pitting puters and push buttons in a muzzle loader.I'll keep the old round ball rifle I've had for 35 years thank you.Accuracy?? I could hit a coke can at 200 yds and I don't need any better that that cause I ain't shootin' at flys.
    I'll back Boots just shoot me or better yet let me shoot the engineer who came up with that idea but I'll use my own gun.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i read that article too. the electronic ignition system idea is not a new one, remington had a 700 that fired centerfire rounds just like this muzzleloader. i want to see what happens when the system gets a short in it and decides to go off my itsself. part of the cool thing about any gun to me is any good old boy can pretty much repair any gun he has with just an exploded view and a decent attention span to disassembly. i don't think i can help billy fred out with his damn microchip, even with an exploded view. i don't think this will last long, just like remington's idea.

8. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I would almost bet it's all about the money. They know bringing a new gun with new technology to the market will bring new buyers, a lot of which will buy it just to show it off. After the sales dwindle, the gun will be a thing of the past.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've seen these. I thought blackpowder guns were supposed to be more primitive, not space age! I have an inline for the really bad weather days, but prefer to hunt with my traditional blackpowder rifle. They tried this similar type of ignition system about 30 or 40 years ago with a caseless ammunition. It was found to be impractical. I see it the same way with blackpowder arms.

It's bad enough that I have to try to keep my powder from getting contaminated by water, now I have to worry about my rifle shorting out? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!! Just give me some ball and shot, point me to the woods, and fire up the cooker! I'll be back with dinner!!!!!!

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    IMHO they made it for what me and my dad call, "Indianaplois Hunters" (not the good ole boys that live in indy and work hard, but the ones that have what they want when they want it and dont care about what happens to other people) they rent leases all year round, use top of the line gear, gunna go out and buy this muzzleloader that is fired with electricity, and brag about using 1 shot from a "Muzzleloader" to kill a deer with. and those will be the same people that im laughing at with a bigger buck in the bed of my pickup holding my 1970s Martin bow in my hand. now that ive discovered the lost love of my life (Archery) i say wipe guns from hunting forever:smile2: (not really, just a joke) but i kno i wont be using any kind of firearm to kill my deer with this year, ill stick with my broadheads thanks.

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Somehow, I fail to see the point for a muzzle loader. I always thought that these were meant for someone who wanted an old-fashioned firearm. Besides, the percussion cap system has been around for quite some time, and it probably works just as well.

-- Rich

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    thats why i think all states should go to the rule that some states have. no scopes, percussion caps only, old tradional style. none of this electricity and break open style muzzleloaders. black powder shooting is a lost art. i kno a guy that uses a flintlock kentucky rifle for deer, a .25 caliber flintlock muzzleloader for squirrle, and a flintlock shotgun for squirrel. now thats a hunter:big_smile:

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have so many deer in Virginia, they are eating themselves out of house and home. The Game Biologists have to really scratch their heads to come up with more ways to kill more deer with a declining hunting population. In VA in my life (53 years) we sell 20 % less hunting licenses and our population has doubled to over 6 million residents. The Bow purists all cryed bloody murder when Compounds were allowed, Now the Compound boys are whining because the state now allows crossbows,(Which I love). The net of it to me is do the state a favor and kill as many deer as you legally can using whatever legal method. I don't mess with another mans rights and another man sure as heck isn't going to mess with mine.:big_smile:

14. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If someone else wants it go for it but its not for me. I hate batteries and Im thinking I can reload in less than 20 seconds so it almost seems like a step back that way. I think it wont catch on though.

15. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I saw those too amazing huh??? we prefer thompsin encore rifles.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Kenneth, I don't think anyone here want's to mess with your rights...I certainly don't.

That said, replacing knowledge, commitment, and woodcraft with technology saddens me. Just one man's opinion, but I think the sport, and it's participants, are poorer for it.

17. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Same way here in maryland. So many deer, so few hunters anymore. Thats why they dont care what kinda muzzleloader, or about scopes or nothing.

18. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I won't be buying an electronic muzzle loader but could care less if someone else does. All the deer I kill are mostly so close you could hit them with a rock.

19. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

I think it sounds like a great idea if you want a ram rod to blow through your hand when that S.O.B goes of for know reason. i like the hole inline idea cause ive heard storeys from my dad about the old style. And i know you have to keep the nipple clean and the hole 9yds its just a better design period, but a "puter" in my deer rifle HA yeah right the first time that piece of microsoft crap didnt fire or fired at the wrong time id fill the barrel full of pistole powder and tie a string to the trigger, or toggle switch, button, what ever the hell mechanism fires it and KABLOOEEEEE think ill stick to my knight,13 deer down with it in 8 years one at 205 yards last year.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What do you think when you lift the hood on your car or truck? Can you do anything on your car or truck except change oil? Maybe plugs. All I got to say you decide!!!