Electronic advice

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Jun 20, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have begun mapping out wiring and stuff in my head (just preliminary planning). I have a question or two that I know you guys can answer. First, I'm planning on running my "spotlights" (or actually they are like really cheap kc lights) off of my my trolling battery. I think the ones I'll probably get said they are like 50 or 55 watt... but I'm not sure how much battery that would drain. Have you guys ran your lights off the same battery you use for your trolling motor or did you have to buy another one? Does it drain too much battery? From my calulations, if the trolling motor draws 50 amps and the battery has about 125 amp-hours, I'll get roughly 2 1/2 hours running it full blast the whole time. The only other thing I'll be running off of it is the pump for the bait well I'll be making pretty soon, but that only draws about 1.5 amps so it doesn't really drain much at all. I may hook up my navigation and anchor lights to it too (which I can't see making much a difference either) but I could also get those clamp on kind that run like flashlights (this boat is just a 14 ft. riveted jon so i'm not trying to get high tech, but I'd like it to look somewhat nice). The other question is about actual wiring. Everything has to be wired in parallel so that the voltage drop across every component is 12 V right? I'm not too good at electrical circuits but to me this means that everything connects to the battery with its own positive and negative or ground wires right? Any help would be great... thanks guys, you've always given me good advice before and Lord knows I need help with this kind of stuff.

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok guys, I worked hard on this so hopefully it helps explain what I'm thinking:tounge_out:. Actually they are pretty rough drawings and my best attempt at a wiring diagram. Let me know what you guys think about wiring it like this cause I really don't know much about electrical stuff and I know that alot of you are pro's at this. Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Watts = Volts x Amps

Solve for Amps if you want to know current draw.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah, I knew that... just kinda forgot momentarily:tounge_out:. That’s almost embarrassing for me (being a future engineer!), but I hate EE stuff (even though that is really just high school physics).

So If I'm running my trolling motor full blast, bait pump, and lights all at once, then I'm drawing about 61 amps. That gives me just over 2 hrs of battery life on a 125 amp hour battery if I'm running everything together (not counting nav. light and anchor light, which I'm just going to assume to be probably even less then the pump and I wont ever be running both of those at the same time).

What about the wiring diagram? Does that look somewhat right? If it’s wrong I can take criticism. Maybe you guys have suggestions to improve it?

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Steve i'am not trying to be a smart a## here but you might want to bring a set of oar's lol:big_smile_2:

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The history of boating is littered or should I say the waterways,with folks that thought well I'll just add this because it doesnt take much amperage.First off I would check my state laws as far as running the Spotlights or cheap KCs.If you intend to use them while running it might be illegal.Secondly never assume your battery is holding a full charge.Most batteries lose about 1/2 to 1% capacity a day just sitting there.More is more when it comes to batteries so you might want to think about a second battery to run the lights etc and leave the trolling motor battery for the trolling motor,particularly if the trolling motor is your only means of propulsion.You dont mention any kind of engine so I assume that is so.:smile2:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  8. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not all batteries are built the same... basically you get what you pay for.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas

Haha, ok point taken. Actually I have a set and plann on always having them. But sounds like another battery may be a must instead of sort of maybe something I'll get later like I origionally planned.

As far as the spotlights go, I will have to check into the legality of them. But I know that people bow fish around here, so I would assume that you can use them. However I can see why they wouldn't be allowed for driving so I will check into that. And once again... thanks for all the advice guys.