Electro-Shock Studies

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by neocats, Dec 23, 2006.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Phil Hillman from ODNR has agreed to let me tag along on one of their boats during a shock study in early 2007. I'm excited. Has anyone else been involved with this?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The Oklahoma Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries Division, conducts numerous free seminars throughout the state on how they shock the fish to study growth and stocking requirements. Very, very interesting to watch. If a feller had to supply fish for a fish fry, and wasn't considerate as to how its done, this is the way to do it. LOL. Even noodlers and limbliners couldn't outfish them.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No. What lake are you going to, any idea?

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would like to get to Spencer Lake because I do a lot of fishing there, but I'll take a seat where ones open.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Man that does sound cool...WOnder if they will let you take any pictures of anything..Let us know how it goes, did you have to contact them or did they contact you??

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I contacted them on a different matter and it just came up in comversation. And yes, when I'm done, I'll post up some pictures.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your state is anything like Oklahoma, they encourage the fishermen/sportsmen to attend their studies. It shows where tax dollars are going, and what the state is doing in an attempt to make the sport even better. I suggest everyone contact the fisheries division and ask them about attending one or two of their expeditions. All the states conduct them... just get on their schedule.

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The IDNR did an electroshocking study a few years ago at a local municipality lake. The were a dozen or so people that watched. It was actually quite informative. Mostly sunfish came to the surface, but few catfish. The biologist said that catfish are usually below the shocking level, meaning few are studied.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have been out on the Potomac gere two time with fisheries and have seen alot of fish pop up. I haven't saw many catfish come up they seem to be harder topo bring up and we never saw any over maybe 10 lbs. Now I catch 100's here over 20 lbs so I know where they are but we couldn't get one to show up. I think they are just to big and bad hell they may even like it who knows.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I read of a radio tracking study once where the tagged Flatheads would swim away from the motor noise of the tracking boat every time they tried to get close. Maybe blues react the same, or stay too deep.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds aweseome! I hope to catch the pics!

Take care.
    Cheryl

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If I remember rightly, they set their shocking mechanisim for a ten to 15 foot range. Anything in that range is gonna come up. A big cat, at the maximum range, may loose some of its motor skills but will very quickly recover. It may be they don't want to crank up the power as it would kill the shallow fish instead of just shocking them. But, cats are not impervious to the shocking techniques. They brought up some 40lb or so flatheads. Not that many blues in these lakes.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty awesome, cant wait to see the pics. Have fun.

14. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went with the Missouri Dept of Conservation a couple of times shocking for catfish in the Missouri River and we shocked up over 300 flatheads in one day. Catfish have a set setting that is used and yes it will work.So will a crank telephone also.The key is if they know how to do it and what setting to use.

15. Joe_T

Joe_T New Member

State:
    NY
    I read a story on the Internet about shocking a lake in an attempt to harvest out the Carp. I don’t recall the specifics. Apparently the lake was over run with Carp and this was how they dealt with it. It sounded extreme when I read it but I guess it is not so crazy.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I was fishing Nolin Lake here one time when the DNR came up the river shocking fish. I hadn't been catching much of anything, but when they came by I started catching all kinds of small fiddler cats on worms. I was on the opposite side of the river (maybe 200 feet) from the shocking rig. It appeared as if the bite just turned on as the shock boat went by. I figured the shock rig was bringing up worms and other small critters out of the mud at the bottom. Vern

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes i had the privelage of going with member fishgeek last year. it was pretty cool to see the fish come up. i was suprised to see all that went into it. it was alot of work collecting all that data! i sure dont envy them doing it all the time.

have fun brother!