Electro fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdw123, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    Just wondering if anybody has ever electro fished? my grandfather told me he used to get the old wind up telephones and shock fish in his lake and they would float to the top. just curious.

jdw

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome to the family. Comein outa the gates with a thread I'm sure will get alot of attention.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome to The BOC Justin. The only people that I've seen shocking the water around here were state workers. :roll_eyes:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    UH OH!!!!! I am gonna put on my flack jacket, LOL!!! This is gonna get intresting fast!!!!

PS. Welcome to the BOC Justin!!!!

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They are more challenging if you catch them on rod and reel.

Leave the shocking to biologist.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    A rubber suit would be less shocking.

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    X2 + a billion. It just ain't right.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    When i was a kid i would help my dad. we usually were on inner tubes or sometimes we would use 2 old car hoods bolted together for a boat. dad would crank and i would dip up the fish. even back then you could go to prison for that. I watched the tva biologist this summer. now he had a shocker. hooked up to a generator and everything. I never knew there were so many fish down there.

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC Justin. I have never shocked fish and don't really know anything about it. I seem to have enough fun trying to hook one with a rod and reel.

10. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    i never planned on shocking for catfish. besides i have my own private 20 acre lake that i would be doing it on. im not stupid enough to do it in public waters. my lake is overrun with carp. during the spawning season i can see huge black masses of them from my house which is about 250 yards!
    i know carp are good at keeping the lake clean but i have too many of them.
    ive tried fishing for them with no luck.

jdw

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    WELCOM ABOARD.......I wish I had a couple ideas fer you .............but ya got me confused must be jolted from the electricity:eek:oooh:

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Justin. I have never :wink: actually seen it done. I have been on the receiving end and can tell you a telephone crank can put out quiet a shock. Thats another story though. LOL

13. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    Go to the NC board and ask. Its legal to shock in Bladen county on the cape fear river for flatheads. Its still A touchy subject on those threads.

14. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Justin.. Welcome ... Welcome.

Nah.... never did But I know where one of those old rigs still lives.. I have looked at it a hundred time since I was just a Pup..
    One of the Many things Uncle Jim and Dad were "Gonna show me someday."

Heard them yard talk about those times and there was much smiling..

Still remember them talking about leaving the Bass and Trout they "Raised"
    and the fries that followed with all the men coming back from the Gasconade wet and full of it.

Times were different then.. not all bad ......... not all good. :wink:
    Thanks for the memory Jog.

15. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok first of all welcome to the BOC. and second, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!?! i dont know about you, but i love to fish. i love to feel a fish at the end of my line fighting me and more times han not winning. they get off my hook, and if i do get them to shore, i take my pictures and toss them back in. if they are throat or gut hooked i will keep them and eat them, but this doesnt happen very often. if a biologist does it, its in the name of science and i can understand iot, that doesnt mean i agree with it. by shocking you not only get the species you are after, but also alot of species you are not really going for. i know biologists do this for asian carp, but they also kill bass, cats, bluegill, and alot of native species die for no reason other than trying to eradicate the invasive species. so take it from me, leave the generator at home, buy yourself a couple of descent rods, load up with some heavy line, and go catch them the old fashinoned way.

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    back in the days, LOL we used to as kids use the crank phone in the shallow coves at lake meade. but got tired fast so we started using wires off generator in old truck we had. we never saw a fish die from it. just stunned for a few seconds on top, and i don't remember ever seeing a carp come up.
    but, our parents found out what we were doing, and that was end of that.
    gary

17. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    justin use a small size 4 hook and load it up with corn and toss out the line. Dont tighten the line or the carp wont take it. Just leave it nice and slack believe me you will know when a carp is hooked as they run fast and hard. Just make sure you have the pole in a good holder. Most of the time the carp hook them selves when they try spitting out the hook. Just give it a nice hook set when the fish starts running. They absolutely love corn. You will most likely catch a few cats in the process.