Electrical system trouble

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catseeman, Apr 21, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    HELP please. I bought a 91 jimmy S15 it has a short circuit or a power drain . I charged the battery to 14 volts. 2 hours later it was 8 volts. it is a new napa battery . i am an electrician have meters etc.and do know how to use them. but this car is getting to me. while connected in car the battery will not fully charge.only to 12.3 volts after 3 hours of 6 amp charge. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I had a similar problem with a 97 GMC Burb. We would park it in the afternoon and it would be dead (0 volts!) in the morning. The mechanic looked for a "parasite" for 3 hours that was draining the system. Nothing! The battery was only 12 months or so old so I didn't figure it to be bad but took it in for testing anyway. It tested good but had a dip in the top about the size of a quarter and 3/8" deep so I felt there was something going on internally causing it to short out and generate a lot of heat so I replaced the battery anyway. I've had no problems since and my tractor got the old Burb battery.

Try taking the battery out of the vehicle and turn EVERYTHING off. Check the resistance between the + and - battery cables. If there is a drain, I suppose it will show up as so many ohms on the meter.

Have your charging system tested. Most places will do it for free.

Let us know if you figure it out.

3. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    To check for drain hook your meter to the negative cable and the negative post. Make sure your ignition has been shut off for 30 minutes to time everything out, then disconnect them without breaking the circuit. Your meter will show you how many amps you are pulling. Go to the underhood fuse block and pull and replace one at a time to find out what circuit the problem is in, then work your way downstream.

This is all assuming your battery is good, and a wiring diagram will help a lot. 14 volts to 8 volts in two hours is a huge drain so you might want to use a clamp on meter.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    thanks for the help .I replaced the window motor, lock sw. and rear hatch motor . think all is well for now . catchya later lenny