Electrical Problems ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Wally, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I'm sittin' here at work thinking , "Why ain' I getting power to my fuse block?"
    Following all the wires...somthing has got to work ????

Hook up all the wire I can find in the battery box, No power to the fuse block...

DAH...Does the Iginition need to be ON, to get power ??? If you say yes, I am greatfull and feel like an idiot, cause I have tried everything else and just thought of it here at work where I cannot check out my idea.

Thank you!!!

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    What are you working on?

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Hey Wally, Be Sure To Check The Condition Of The Ground Cable, If It Is No Good Than Niether Will The Positive Side Be Any Good.

Assuming That Is Good, I'm Assuming, Not You ; Then Check Your Positive Lead From The Battery All The Way To The Fuse Block, There Very Well May Be A Large Amperage Curcuit Breaker Or Fuse That Is Blown. If It Is Get Ready To Repair A MAJOR Short To Ground.

HTH, Elliot

4. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I'm sorry...1987 B*&^ Tracker Tournament 17 Deep "V"
    1992 Mariner 75 HP with Tilt/Trim

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Wally, did you ever have power to your fuse block?

6. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    No Sir...I never had power there. The previous owner did, but said he had problems with things shorting out.

I may have found "HIS" short problem, 2 bare ended wires bounsing around in the bow, under the deck connected to nothing! They where HOT with the battery connected up. 1 + the other -. Says right on the label, BATTERY +.

There are the Nav Lights, Int. Lights, Bilge Pump, Live Well Pump with Timer, and Horn. Switches for all for these on the dash, plus the fish finder. Also a 12 volt "Lighter" socket. That is what is connected to the fuse block. Also a RED line to the main bus bar, and Black to a ground block. These 2 wires dissapear behind a wall and I can't find them again.

I don't know if the fuse block is "HOT" off the ignition switch or straight from the battery. Some dummy just thought of this on his way to work this morning and don't get back home until Friday morning. :embarassed: I don't know if it is common to run the power through the iginition or not???

Thank you

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No it's not common to run accessory power off the ignition in small boats.

Get a meter or a test light and test the two largest wires at the fuse block, Red+ and Black-. Once you have that established, test each power side to the fuses.

If you have to pull a wire out of your boat, first connect a return pull wire to it so you can pull a new wire back into the same route the old wire came out of.