Electrical issues

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by txthumper1691, Oct 30, 2007.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    was just curious. I am trying to get my bass boat fixed, and in th process I have to make sure my wiring is good. wires r in good shape, but th issue is I hooked my lights to th battery on my van w/a testlight to complete th circuit, test light comes on w/light buld in th socket, but th bulb didnt light up and it is a bran new bulb. my ? is, do I need to have a marine battery to get th boat light to light up or shouldnt it light up regardless of wether or not its a car batt or boat batt, since they r both a 12 volt system? I have tried this w/both bow an stern lights, nither system lights up th boat bulb, but my test light does come on. thanks guys for any and all help. maybe i just need to get new lights

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It will light up with either battery. I would suspect there is either an inline fuse board or the pig tails in the sockets are coroaded

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Some test lights are designed to test continuity at the far end point only, therefore not allowing current past the test light to the far end. Try completing the circuit without the test light. The type of battery makes no difference when drawing current.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    ok, so buying new light posts for th front an back would be in order then huh? well at least they're cheap at Wally world. thanks guys.

5. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    easy test to do to test if you in fact are getting 12 volts to light of if its a bad ground.
    Use a volt meter either analog or digital and test light socket for power connect - lead of voltmeter directly to battery and test in contact at bottom of socket with + lead if it reads 12 volts you have power to socket. Then test it with - lead connected to base of light socket and + lead to base of socket or directly to + terminal of battery and check for voltage if voltage present then its more n liely you bulbs of dirty connection in socket.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Frustrating some times ain't it. The ol shadetree way of working on the trailer lights if just two jumper wires with clips leads & a battery. Ya can test from the harness plug of the trailer, by going grd to grd, then the pos lead one by one to the pins of the harness. Takes yer truck out of the picture, as most times it's the trailer, and lets you test full length the wiring.

7. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if all your using is a testlight to the battery. thats not going to put your lights on. i guess id jump a wire ant try it

8. sambo

sambo New Member

State:
    alabama
    Iwould start with checking the bulb then the socket and work my way over to the switch your problem sounds like a bad switch . it makes sense if one switch controls both lights. you can test it by using a jumper wire to make contact betweenthe terminals on the switch . just make sure theres no gas fumes around when you test it.:wink:

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I gave up trying to get th lights to work so I just went down and bought new bases and lights all together. wasnt very expensive, and i figure this way i know its gonna work.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey Keith, you've had about nine hours now... are your lights working?

11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    oh yeah :smile2: aw shucks, figured th insides of th old lights were rotted out so I just bought new ones, at least this way I know they r gonna last a good while. also for th courtesy lights on th floor I stopped by the boat graveyard, found 6 on 1 boat, and they r all good. now its time to get th steering loosened up. its a devil to steer.

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think the marine standard for boat lights and boat trailer lights is they work as long as the boat is in the yard.....static.