Electric (Trolling) motor help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by alpal16, Feb 27, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Hey there. I am in the need of a little advice. My in-laws have a metal (steel??) rowboat and I am interested in hooking up an electric trolling motor to it to use as the main motor. Problem is, I have no idea what size or brand to get (the lake they live on is an electric motor only lake). The boat is about 17ft in length, with a square-type front (that is the bow, right?). I am interested in mounting it on the back of the boat. I was thinking about getting a 55lb thrust, since that is the largest I can seem to find that is a 12v, but would that be too big? Any suggestions for a set-up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A 55'# thrust trolling motor would be fine on a 17' aluminum jon boat.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    i believe what you would be interested in is a transom mount trolling motor. I don't think you can get to big of a trolling motor. Now you can most certainly have to small a trolling motor. Minn Kota is the brand I use and trust. I am sure Motor Guide makes a great product. I just have not owned many of them.
    I hope this helps,
    David

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    a 55# thrust motor is the biggest trolling motor you can find in a 12v. I know I got one on my 14 foot jon boat. The 55 will do okay but you will need to get as big a battery as they make cause when you run the motor on high very long it will suck the battery down. The instructions I got with mine said that on high the battery would only last an hour maybe a little more depending on the battery. They also make electric motors that are no considered to be a trolling motor that you could get more output than the trollin motor. Some of the electric motors can be equivelant to a 5hp gas motor. Look up minn kota on the web and see what all they offer.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That sounds like a good choice for your boat. Since you are going to be using it as your primary propullsion, I would get a transom mounted one. These motors push much better than they pull.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Might be better to mount the motor on the front and pull your boat.... with the trolling motor...... as the wind pushes the front of the boat, I found that with just one trolling motor, it was better to have it at the front.... Try either end.... see for yourself.....

bayrunner Ray

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a old 45 thrust motor guide that works well on my 15ft jon-I think a 55 will do good for you.

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
  9. turkeyman

turkeyman New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Swansea
    I have a 55lbs. minn kota transom mount on a 12 jon boat. I use this boat in ponds and small rivers and it does very well even against current. I for sure would not go any smaller. I have had this motor for 3 years and am very happy with it. It is still on it's original prop and shear pin. We have even used the motor on my buddies 18ft. boat in the swamp.

10. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone got one of those deep cycle batteries from Walmart for your trolling motor? I have a 46 thrush (or 44,not sure off the top of my head) i just picked up recently but a buddy of mine said they sucked up the juice quick? I was thinking of using that around a small lake but was trying to get and idea of how long in a day they will last ? I noticed on top of it it says the lest time for the higher speeds. There's 5 speeds on it? Was going to put it on the back of 16ft Jon. Any input on this?
    Yes,I'm a newbie to this also

11. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a W/M deep cycle, 3-4 yrs old. It was the largest they sold at the time. It still works dandy. Both of my bow mount motors are 30 ish lbs thrust and move the battery to the boat I am using at the time. It will go fine as most of the usage is intermittant and on the #3 or #4 setting. Running anything on HI all the time will suck it down the quickest.
    Remember that the control head of transom mounts is reversable on the shaft and you can use it on the bow to pull a boat. You may need to rig a mount for it to get it clamped on.
    I've used a small 20 something thrust transom mount Motor Guide for years on the bow of a canoe with very good results, also on john boats and utility boats until I aquired the slightly used bow mounts.
    It is always easier to pull a boat than to push it if you've got much wind.
    Weight of the battery, (or batteries, if you carry more than one) is the only drawback. You can move them around the boat for trim ballast but you will need to make up a long cord as neened. Good Luck Fishing.

12. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thank you for the input. Makes alot of sense.