Electric question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Clovis, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    My boat has 3 batteries.

2 for the trolling motor, each with one wire per terminal.

and 1 for the motor, this one has two wires per terminal, a thich wire that goes to the motor I assume, and a smaller wire that goes to the console, again I am assuming.
    this little wire I believe powers everything in the boat except the trolling motor (i.e. nav lights, bilge pump, aerator,...)

would it not be better to power all the rest of the stuff off the trolling motor batteries instead of the motor battery?

Could I do this by just switching the smaller wire on the motor battery to one of the deep cycle batteries?

it is rare that I use the trolling motor much, and even if I did I would rather lose power to it than to the main cranking battery.

I am thinking of adding some lights for night fishing excursions and will wire them to the trolling motor batteries as well, but that is beside the point of my question.

Thanks for any info, I am sure someone will responed with thoughts.

Steve

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have the same type of hook up on my rig it came form the factory that way, I wanted to hook up all my trolling motor batt but found that my fule gauge would not work when i turned on the motor so l left as is what i did i put a second fuse block on the boat hooked up to trolling motor batt, and seprate what i wanted to run on that side of the electric. it was not hard to do might want to try that .

3. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    The answer to your question is ,, yes,(the second question that is,,,,if thats the way u want it), with the exception of your fuel guage (if ya have one) or anything else that is controled by the ignition switch.
    Anything that works with the ignition switch off now, will work if you switch the wires
    But your engine should have a charging system to recouperate what u use while sitting,, I assume thats why the factory sets em up that way..

But ask Bobpaul,, he knows everything!!!!!

4. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Your cranking battery recharges so it does not get drained by the small equipment. Whereas the trolling batteries have to be put on a charger. That is why the factory setup is to the cranking battery.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm glad you finally realize that Bushwack:sure:

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    What about installing a battery isolator. Wouldn't that allow the system to see which battery is low and direct the charging to that, versus hooking up seperate curcuits ???

J.A.T., HTH...Elliot

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is what I would do Elliot

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Steve, my boat came from the factory wired the same way with all accessories on the start battery. Only difference I have one trolling battery. I had problems from day one with a weak start battery after fishing for a few hours. It would always start but it was weak. I couldn't understand why the factory would wire it like that. I even posted on here about doing some rewiring but then decided the factory battery was bad. The dealer tried to give me a hard time but I have enough sense to know that three little pumps and a sonar are not going to drain a good battery in a few hours. The dealer finally replaced it and no more problems. So what if the start battery goes down... it takes about 2 minutes to switch cables on the batteries for the trip home. I have since added an outlet for a fishing light and I put it on the trolling battery.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    my sonar is hook to my cranking battery. It reads 11.0 volts. Is this a bad battery or am I not running the motor long enough to charge it up most of my trips on the lake are about five minutes. I just bought the boat in November. Thanks
    stephen

10. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    The reason the factory wires the engine battery seperate from the trolling motor battery is that the engine's charging system is not designed to handle the extra load of the trolling batteries. That is why you have to charge them with a charger. And if you do hook your trolling motor batteries together with your engine battery you can burn your stator and/or rectifiing regulator up. I have been dealing with starting and charging systems for 23 years and have seen it done many times.

Now if you seldom use your trolling motor you might be ok with hooking them together, but you have to realize that a fully charged battery will still draw 8 amps to keep it maintained and when you hook 3 batteries together you are pulling at least 24 amps and your charging system on your engine probably doesnt put out but 30 amps, some a little more and some alittle less. And there is little left for your accessories. I dont recommend hooking them together and if it was a good idea the factory would have done it to start with.

What i do when my cranking battery goes dead is just simply swap my cables to my trolling motor batteries to get me started again.

11. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I forgot the question about the battery isolator.

I dont recommend an isolator either because you are stiill using the engine's charging system to charge all the batteries. All a battery isolator does is keep all the batteries that are hooked to it from runnin down at the same time but they all are still charged back up together, still is the same load on the charging system. Hope this info helps.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I guess the best thing to do then would be to install a battery selector switch, that would keep from draining your cranking batttery while your using your trolling motor/house battery

13. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your welcome bob,, why didnt you tell him how to fix it?,, better yet why dont ya tell all the boc what ya called me in your rep. comment to me... let em all know how smart you are

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I never called you anything. I just said I know a moron when I see one. You may be sensitive about that, not sure.:tounge_out:

When I see good information posted, I see know need to add to it. But opinions without fact need to be addressed.