electric power

Discussion in 'Boating' started by hookslinger, Aug 10, 2009.

1. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I have a question on what size trolling motor. I have a 12' Alumacraft vee hull boat I use for small lakes and ponds. I'm using a MinnKota 30lb Maxxum motor now which works pretty good, but a little slow. I can get a night of fishing on one battery. I would like to stay at 12volts. I'm thinking about going up to a40 or 45lb thrust. I would like to go to 55lb but don't want to suck my battery down too quick. I was wondering if the big motor might be better because it would be working less than the 45 and thus use less battery. Or I'm I thinking out in left base.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There have been a lot of improvement in T/M of late, with improved performance. I think you could use the 55# trust, without out much difference in battery draw down. The 55 would make a big difference in a heavy wind or emergency. Go to a sporting goods store, that carries several models of T/M and check out the boxes for the info you need to make your decision.

3. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    The higher thrust motor will only use more power (Amperage) when it is kicked up to the higher power settings. For most of the time you won't be using full power, but it is an added benefit when you need it. One thing I will look forward to if and when I buy a new TM is the availability for remote operatin (copilot) or an autopilot. I installed the copilot option on my Minnkotta V2 and it makes life much easier. I can run the TM from any where in the boat with no foot pedal and no strings (wires) attached. The motor is also easier to control than with a pedal. I can make very small changes in direction and speed that were not possible with the pedal.

4. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Yea I agree the bigger motor will pull less amps at the lower power settings, but I don't know if I can trust myself to stay off the thottle LOL. Has anyone had any experience with a Kipawa brand prop for trolling motors. Supoise to increase thrust, speed and battery life. Almost sounds to good to be true.

5. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    I have a new minn kota endura #55. I usualy troll for 2-4 hours at a time on setting #2. Last week I trolled for about 6 hours over 2 days. Put the battery on my electronic charger before the 3rd day, the charger said I had 75% charge remaining ( before chargeing). The endura powers my 15' deep vee well. $229 at farm & fleet. well worth the money. I'm sure the minn kota will last for 20 years